Gambling of tens of thousands can I sue?

Options

Comments

• LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jackanory story. It wasn't me...it was my friend's sisters grannys cousins aunts dad and I made it up.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2018 at 7:10PM
    Options
    Your case seems to rest on what you were told by the account manager.

I am not clear what the account manager told you that you have an issue with. If you could prove that the information you were given by the account manager was false, then you might have a case for fraudulent misrepresentation.

But proving that would be very difficult - it may have been completely true that some of his other clients were winners.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was this something along the lines of BOTB?
  • sleepymans
    sleepymans Posts: 902 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »

sorry? What is BOTB?
    :A Goddess :A
  • DillyDee
    DillyDee Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I think...and I stress, think, it's so rambling it's very unclear - that it's more a "somebody has to win" kind of thing - every week some of the the people who pay in get back a percentage of the total. So it doesn't matter to the company who that is.

Therefore by telling people he had a scheme that would make it more likely for them to win, they paid in more and increased the pot. Even if the OP won £5K every week for a £5 stake, it was better for the company to have their £5 than not, as someone else was getting the £5K if it wasn't them. Encouraging people to spend is the important thing.

It's all very bizarre though. And of course, the "inside information" was nothing of the kind. What the OP claims happened is surely illegal.

It was not insider trader, well it could of been but I didn't get fruits of the labour for the time I was playing through him.
    Except they seem to be claiming this person represented themselves as acting officially for the company. They do say they believe he was getting commission on their spending, which they obviously wouldn't do if it was all illicit.

This person was part of the company officially whether they still are, I have no idea. They told me verbally they got commission for every sale.
    dacouch wrote: »

What is botb?

The draws for each day happens on a friday. Humans for each day competition decides the results, not software intervention.

Seem to be some really nasty people on here with some sarcastic comments, I don't expect no sympathy but have some god dam respect man. Just think, it could happen to you a close one.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    Options
    DillyDee wrote: »
    Seem to be some really nasty people on here with some sarcastic comments, I don't expect no sympathy but have some god dam respect man. Just think, it could happen to you a close one.

Ahem - we're not the one's trying to offload blame for gambling stupid amounts of money :rotfl:

You're no worse off than when you started - accept it and get on with your life
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    sleepymans wrote: »
    sorry? What is BOTB?
    https://www.botb.com

A place that offers riches beyond your wildest dreams. We will leave at that!
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Here is some advice OP.

You entered some raffles. They gave you an incentive to play more, possibly for free. They then warmed you up in a boiler room, encouraging you to play more. In the end they wanted you to put cash in. Hopefully by this stage you got wise. In the end it appears you lost nothing. Take the advice I got when working in an arcade in 1977. The boss told us the following!

They hope the punter likes losing his money.

Part of life!!!8217;s rich tapestry.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    Options
    It was not insider trader, well it could of been but I didn't get fruits of the labour for the time I was playing through him.

This person was part of the company officially whether they still are, I have no idea. They told me verbally they got commission for every sale.

What is botb?

The draws for each day happens on a friday. Humans for each day competition decides the results, not software intervention.

It's not rocket science...gambling companies and their staff exist to get your money from you to them You do get that?
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    It really could not. It sounds like it can only happen to someone who thought that they were getting in on a scam.

As you seem to have described it, you won fifty thousand pounds, then lost fifteen thousand of your winning back, leaving you up thirty five thousand pounds, is that right?

If not can you actually have another try at explaining what exactly happened, how much you put in of your money, and so how much you are really down?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure