In the nick of time

Options

Comments

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Fabulous update. Go you!! :j:j:j. :beer:

Does it now make all the changing beds seem worth it, ask your OH? ;) :rotfl:
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 October 2016 at 8:17AM
    Options
    Brizzle, I know this has been said many times... but where did our money go.?

We still spend far too much, and 2 weeks rent equivalent has slipped through my fingers , on window cleaner, present and christening expenses, coat for GD. £30 for food and £40 for OH.

Having a HMO (extreme ;) ) , lots of paying guests is phenomenal to our ability to pay. When my OH had little to no income, I'd be frazzled doing extra shifts as a ward manager, hardly at home and resenting what life had thrown at me... now I've changed jobs, more accountability but no management or staffing responsibility, and more job satisfaction. OH less chippy about his lower income because he's doing his lot for the household :D

I do keep most of the savings, because quite frankly he's rubbish with money. But planning a low spend month now. I have about £200 for 3 1/2 weeks. £60 will be tolls and petrol. The rest top up shops. OH will get his pensions of £200, plus ( normally) another £100 when he gets paid. He is such a lucky man ;) ............( he has worked so little last month he may not get all that £100.He needs 16 nights to earn £800 in each 4 week period and will have only worked 13. I will negotiate)
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Switch over due to happen anytime now for my G&E... I'm finally in credit with F1rst utility.. they didn't take the first 2 months payments last year, I emailed them twice to do so.. therefore I have always been playing catch up. So was supposed to pay £111 pcm... after 6 payments went to £118 for 2 months then the last 2 £149... ironic for the cheapest part of the year I have paid the most, and I'm finally in credit by £22 :0

on balance been a good year at £1200 in total.... bearing in mind all of the comings and goings we have :D

SP telephoned and I quoted sainsbugs deal that was on msecheap club...

So I asked him to be sensible and quote me on the realistic use of £100 pcm.... He brought this down to £63 pcm, who knows what the year will bring... but however unrealistic it's a good start to aim to get it for around £420 a year less.

DD1 needed to sort her G&E out, but being in rented accom, she was slow to do it... and her boiler was broken for most of last winter leading to many disputes with the landlord....

And energy man knocked on her door to give her a better quote and told her she's been paying off the previous tenants debts to BG for nearly 2 years!! She had phoned to query her high bills and was fobbed off and made to feel foolish... He worked out she had probably over paid by £2.5k I feel a complaint coming on ;)
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    That is SHOCKING. OMG? Yes get that one into high gear immediately.

Glad it's all turning round for you MfD. it's really impressive stuff
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Amazing figures mfd :j

That's shocking news about DD1 as well, hope you can help get it sorted.
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Have reminded DD1 to get an email sent pronto...

Now DD2 is visiting in 17 days ;).. i have to pick her up from the south... so 4+ hrs there then 4+ hrs back... we only refuelled on leaving so one way not too bad. My sister has offered to bring her back to the south when she returns from visiting mother :T:T:T saving us £43 on a train ticket and petrol :D

I have broached the subject with DD2 about opening a S@ntander student account to get the free student railcard. She is a girl who likes to make her own choices. Last time i sent her student account details she took no notice. But she changed her h@lifax current account to student account with a free £1k OD :eek: I'll mention it again in a few weeks, Now it's her money she may feel differently. She's agreeable to the rail card, it's the bank account to get it for free that's the hurdle. It's £30 in her pocket :)

I picked up overtime again, last week , this week, and next week. Christmas cash :D:D
    mind you I'm working xmas and new year night shifts. OH picked up a outdoor swing set for GD for a tenner after the summer stock change. That's a start :D OH a bit of a techno phobe, but has learnt to google on his smart phone. He wants to increase his knowledge of the history of Britain, so I'm getting him a tablet (any suggestions welcome). Dd1 want new hairdryer. happy plans in place:D

lodger has told OH he has changed pay dates. MMMMM . Expecting £160 from him on Friday. Not impressed that both OH and him failed to mention it to me!! Also guest who wanted to book outside the website has messed us around.... he comes across as very genuine, bit of a bumbling professor sort.... faffed about when booking, then he has told us he has brought a furry friend (after staying 3 x 3 nights) He asked for a reduced rate for booking so many nights which we agreed, he didn't bring cheque book as promised, but then couldn't do transfer as phone numbers didn't work, and now added on an extra night. I will be adding that to a bill when he arrives on Sunday. I've made one OP this week of £60. Trying not to get a bit twisted about not being able to make more :o
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    MFD amazing news on your mortgage! So exciting!

And I hope your DD1 gets her money back, how very naughty of them!!

Make sure you keep an eye on this bumbling guy, hopefully he is genuine but you wouldnt expect a hotel to just put you up without paying! And naughty lodger as well!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    yup Jodles.. hotels would expect payment....

he asked for special rate for being here for early part of weeks for a month or so., actually a £90 discount. I think i will be charging him full price for the extra night
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Day off today. Must visit mum. She needs more input now. My rota has my days off split in a day, off a day. A pain really on a personal level, but on a mother level quite useful.

Want to go the gym too... I usually do these things in the mornings, but not sure today. Did plan on meeting a friend for breakfast, but her son broke his arm yesterday and she wants to go to the school first to see why they left him all day with an Ice pack on his arm!!

So plan a bit up in the air. OH and I have been ships that pass in the night (and 6am), said yesterday at least we'll have the afternoon mmmm, then SW at tea time 1st week weigh in and I've not done it :o

Personal shopping this month is around £70, that includes laundry liquids. I've deducted room spends.

Petrol £43

Will probably spend £10 on brekkie or lunch, whichever it is :)

OT tomorrow, more for the savings pot this time, I think. I really would like a £5k cash EF, but for starters a £3k then £4k will do. All my working life services have been restructured and new plans made. I know big changes to our organisation will happen next year, but there are constant rumblings about our future positions. they only increased the size of the team last year!! I really don't want to go up a grade or down a grade :o.

So I need to just keep at it and make a more of a triple approach. My pension paid at source 9.3%, Mortgage getting tackled, so cash savings could do with a bump. Since I've remember my Oh's shares I keep thinking, s*d it, just pay the mortgage.
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Overtime today so a few pennies extra.
    email from @irbnb telling us we have achieved superhosts for the 4th quarter running (5 star ratings) and they've given us a $100 travel voucher :D:D... downside is we have to make a trip somewhere :o

@irbnb still going strong. although we've been registered a year now. I think I'll do a house income end of December for the actual year... it's so close now ::D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback