Is my electric Economy 7 meter faulty?

Options
2»

Comments

• sandydog_2
    Options
    I send in readings mostly every month. I've just been in touch with First Utility who I've been with for about 4 years until now but prior to that I was with EDF. I'm upset to think I've been an idiot paying double for years if that's the case. I'll try to post pics later.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It could be a meter that was once a dual rate meter and which has been converted to a single rate one.

I suspect that, as both readings have advanced by 4, one of them is the old total reading.

Is there a button which, when pressed, cycles through a number of readings?

Do either or both readings have a little number or symbol next to them?

Have you checked that the meter serial number is the same on both bill and meter?

Do you supply BOTH READINGS - THIS IS IMPORTANT - to your supplier?

If it turms out that your meter is actually a single rate one and you have been supplying both readings then you should raise a complaint and should get a refund of all payments made with respect to the "ghost" second readings supplied or taken.
  • sandydog_2
    Options
    1518882140426459336892.jpg

There's no buttons - it's that old!

Yes, I submit both readings. First Utility are going to get the meter team onto it.
  • House_Martin
    Options
    Many of these sorts of meters have been converted to single rate rather than installing a new meter.Normally the meter fitter will stick a piece of black tape over the low rate so as not to confuse and to specify only the normal rate would be needed.The Radio Teleswitch would also be disconnected because its not needed. It would nt matter if the low rate advanced because it would never be needed from the date it was converted to a single rate
    If you are sure you have a economy 7 tariff in force and a being billed Eco 7 and not a single rate tariff then you re correct in that you have a very odd meter with both registers advancing at the same time on an Eco7 tariff.
    Suppliers will err on the customers side with mistakes like this, you won`t lose out I m sure
  • sandydog_2
    Options
    Many of these sorts of meters have been converted to single rate rather than installing a new meter.Normally the meter fitter will stick a piece of black tape over the low rate so as not to confuse and to specify only the normal rate would be needed.The Radio Teleswitch would also be disconnected because its not needed. It would nt matter if the low rate advanced because it would never be needed from the date it was converted to a single rate
    If you are sure you have a economy 7 tariff in force and a being billed Eco 7 and not a single rate tariff then you re correct in that you have a very odd meter with both registers advancing at the same time on an Eco7 tariff.
    Suppliers will err on the customers side with mistakes like this, you won`t lose out I m sure

I wouldn't have had a clue about this meter being converted, and I couldn't even tell you when it would have been done.

I've gone back over my First Utility bills, and from the first ever to the last, the low usage has been 6926 and the normal has been 6114. So either it's been converted and I've paid twice for electricity, or the meter is at fault.

I wonder how far back I can go with a claim?! :embarasse
  • Hi Sandydog,

I think we're having similar issues. We have an old eco7 meter and have been giving 2 meter readings to the energy company that has resulted in twice the average monthly bills, since we got our own energy monitor we've only just noticed something's quite not right.......after 2 years!!

Did you manage to figure out exactly what the problem was? and did you get a refund?

Thanks
    Matt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family