IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Car towed when away on holiday!

Options
Hi,

Please can anyone help with this query? Some friends have just returned from holiday to find their car was towed whilst they were away. They have residents parking and their permit was in the car.

Apparently the council put up a notice on the street whilst they were away asking no-one to park as they were doing some work.

They were on holiday so didn't see the notice and obviously weren't there to move their car. So it was towed and they are now being asked for almost £1000 to release the car!!

Is there something they can do about this? It seems they may have to pay the fine to release the car as the fine continues to build if they leave it there. What's the best way to pay the fine without admitting liability and what are their chances of success if they try and challenge the fact it was towed in the first place?

THey were abroad so could I imagine produce airline tickets or something to prove they were away at the time.

Many thx in advance.

Comments

• Mathew
    Mathew Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    How long were they away for?, I would have thought a notice would have been displayed much in advance to warn of the change.
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Options
    £1,000? Surely not?
  • travel_freak
    Options
    Well, £800 and something - it's close enough to £1,000 and they haven't released it yet! When they first returned they didn't immediately notice the car wasn't there as they went straight back to work, start early and get back late and don't use the car for getting to and from work - so this didn't help.

If they can prove they were away with airline tickets etc., - which they can - then it seems grossly unfair that these charges can be uphelp.

Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation and managed to challenge it successfully?

I know there was something on Watchdog about a car being crushed whilst someone was on holiday but I think that was for not having a tax disc or something - and I can't remember the outcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure