Cancelled More than Black Box insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• adolphin10
    Options
    Many thanks all. Apparently he was doing 55 in a 40 along a road where doing 40 is dangerous but what can you do

We have spoken to LV and gone with them as they are only £2000 for a year without a black box because they don't care about a cancelled insurance when it is because of the black box so we are relieved at least
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2018 at 5:41PM
    Options
    Ask them to confirm that the cancelled policy has been disclosed to them and the response they gave him.

He will need to disclose this cancellation to other insurers he approaches for quotes in the future.

Insurers do share with others details of policyholders who have had cancelled policies via a shared database
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    adolphin10 wrote: »
    Many thanks all. Apparently he was doing 55 in a 40 along a road where doing 40 is dangerous but what can you do

Not drive at over 1/3 more than the speed limit I guess? That said, given you think doing 40mph in a 40mph limit is dangerous and you appear to think you know better than road safety planners, perhaps this is why you believe he's a good driver and the insurer doesn't?

He'll have been doing this consistently and forgotten about the black box. The idea of a black box is to allow safe and careful new drivers to get reduced premiums by showing they can drive at the speed limit, don't race around corners etc. If your son cannot drive at even close to the speed limit (especially at a speed that would result in a FPN and fine/points as it's over the 10% + 9mph tolerance for a speed awareness course) then I suggest you get him a much less powerful car and send him for more driver training before he crashes and injures/kills himself or someone else.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    adolphin10 wrote: »

We have spoken to LV and gone with them as they are only £2000 for a year without a black box because they don't care about a cancelled insurance when it is because of the black box so we are relieved at least

If I drove at you at 55 mph and 40mph, which would you likely survive statistically?

If that's your attitude to speed, then the son has an even more neglect for the speed limit
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • I know this is an old post but I have stumbled across it when looking for some answers to a black box cancellation and wanted to pass on my results. To keep it short (well, will try), RAC cancelled a black box insurance, I was informed by another insurance company to cancel it before they cancelled it (they gave me 14 days notice), to avoid it going on the cancelled insurance database. I didnt manage to do that as when I called to cancel (the Friday before the policy was due to cancel), I gave them a specific date and time to cancel and was told I couldn't cancel that way but to call on Monday (the day it was due to cancel ), when I did call they said I couldn't cancel it as it was due to cancel anyway. Prior to my call to them I took out new insurance with Axa, and ticked the 'I have never had any insurance declined or cancelled' box. So I was stressed beyond belief when it transpired that the RAC insurance would be classed as cancelled. I called Axa to tell them the previous insurance had been cancelled due to the black box and I was informed it wasn't an issue and I was correct in stating we hadn't had insurance cancelled. That the cancellation of my black box policy was a contract cancellation. My axa insurance is a non-black box policy, I have paid more but listened to some very good advice and to never have black box insurance.

This was my daughters policy, there wasn't a speeding issue, but her low scores were urban and nightime driving. RAC class nightime driving as after 6.00pm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure