Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • phoenix2497
    • By phoenix2497 14th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    phoenix2497
    High Income Self Assessment Tax Return
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    High Income Self Assessment Tax Return 14th Feb 18 at 8:09 PM
    My husband has just received notification that he should have been filing a self-assessment tax return since 2013 due to his plus£50K income and due to me having continued to claim child benefit during this time. Now, I understand we should have been paying more attention when they changed the law (which I have now studied) but
    do we have any case for arguing against the repayment? At no point was my husband informed and they have waited 5 years to chase it up, leaving us with a large bill to repay plus interest and late payment penalties. When he questioned this he was told HMRC were not obligated to inform him - there was a tv advert that he should have seen! As a self-employed person, I would be contacted the minute I was a day late filing a tax return with the late fine - why did this not happen to him?
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 14th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    • 11,192 Posts
    • 7,342 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    there is an existing thread here that may be of help
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5692533&highlight=child+benefit
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 14th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 3,166 Posts
    • 1,846 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    Unfortunately you have no case. See thread linked above.
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 15th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    • 10,069 Posts
    • 18,691 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 15th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    This is what happens when you allow the LibDems to make up tax law on the back of a fag packet the day before their annual conference. This is one of the craziest and ill thought out tax changes in living memory which was introduced for political reasons rather than financial reasons. Unfortunately, it is the law, and was very well publicised at the time, so regardless of its stupidity, the tax does have to be paid.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,613Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin