🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

High Income Self Assessment Tax Return

Options
My husband has just received notification that he should have been filing a self-assessment tax return since 2013 due to his plus£50K income and due to me having continued to claim child benefit during this time. Now, I understand we should have been paying more attention when they changed the law (which I have now studied) but
do we have any case for arguing against the repayment? At no point was my husband informed and they have waited 5 years to chase it up, leaving us with a large bill to repay plus interest and late payment penalties. When he questioned this he was told HMRC were not obligated to inform him - there was a tv advert that he should have seen! As a self-employed person, I would be contacted the minute I was a day late filing a tax return with the late fine - why did this not happen to him?

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family