Home Insurance "Cancelled" Due to Renovation.

Options
Hi There!
I am after some advise after a pretty stressful day!

To cut a long story short, my insurance premium didn't go out this month as it has been a year since we took out the cover, so I called to ask why a renewal quote had not been sent through and my cover not carried on (effectively leaving me 2 days with out cover)

After a rather unbelievable phone, I was told that my cover was infact cancelled 25 February 2017, as during a phone call I had let them know we were carrying out a renovation of the house.

While I remember the phone call of me explaining my renovations, I cannot remember them telling me they were cancelling my policy and they have not sent me one piece of correspondence confirming my policy has been cancelled.

I have paid my premium every month since then for the last 12 months.

You can imagine, how I felt after this phone call, knowing my house has not been insured for the past year! and a thank you to god nothing has happened to our home!! (I have since requested a formal complaint be made, and I will be contacting the Ombudsman service)

I quickly bought a new premium today (all works are now complete on the house) but I have answered no to "have you had insurance cancelled before"

My understanding is that my insurance hasn't been cancelled as such, but legal and general could not insure me based on my new circumstances and I am not obligated to tell any future insurers of this.

Can someone provide clarity on this, as I am concerned this will affect my new policy of which i have just taken out with another insurer

Comments

• KNIR
    KNIR Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks in advance!

KNIR
  • Reardoa
    Reardoa Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    You need to let your insurers know. They may just look at it as an underwriting decision but its their decision to make
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You do need to notify your insurer about this issue to ensure your non disclosure doesn't come back to bite especially if you have a claim whilst awaiting the outcome of your complaint with the original insurer

A lot will hinge on the reason for the cancellation (eg. was it due to you not notifying the works, or as you say because you were no longer a risk they could cover)
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If they collected premiums every month since the 2017 renewal, it suggests the policy was not cancelled and was renewed.

The Insurers complaints manager or Customer Service manager should able to resolve quickly.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure