Quite probably a dumb question

Options
So, here's the thing, I'm Self employed and paid weekly, after a few rough months I'm trying to get a lid on my finances and I've been wondering, is it possible to set up a standing order or direct debit from a savings account? You see I think to manage my money better I would be better off putting a quarter of my rent away each week into my saving account and have the rent go out from that account, so i know the rent is always safe and will always go out on time, do savings accounts allow for this? Or are there alternatives such as having 2 current accounts? With the same bank? Any advice/help/thoughts would be very appreciated

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes you can, I have a monthly transfer set up to go to my savings on a certain day each month.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can transfer inti a savings account, but I'm not sure they offer direct debits. You can have two current accounts with the same bank, but you might want to look at a second one elsewhere if the amounts going back and fit would qualify you for one of the interest paying accounts.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Tobybass
    Options
    This might seem like a pendantic/pithy/very stupid question but if I open a second current account with the same bank will it require to seperate online accounts or will I be able to see both account's from my banking app? Just trying to make life as easy as possible you see
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You will see all your accounts together
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • Oakdene
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have 3 accounts with Natwest, 2 current & 1 savings, all of which I can see on my app. I have a standing order set up for the 27th of each month to move a certain amount from 1 of the current accounts to my savings.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oakdene wrote: »
    I have 3 accounts with Natwest, 2 current & 1 savings, all of which I can see on my app. I have a standing order set up for the 27th of each month to move a certain amount from 1 of the current accounts to my savings.

that's the 2nd time you've said 'to' - but the OP asked
    'is it possible to set up a standing order or direct debit from a savings account?'
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • knightfox
    knightfox Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think my yorkshire savings accounts can do this
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    knightfox wrote: »
    I think my yorkshire savings accounts can do this

yorkshire BS or yorkshire bank?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Oakdene
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    that's the 2nd time you've said 'to' - but the OP asked
    'is it possible to set up a standing order or direct debit from a savings account?'

:rotfl::rotfl:Sorry :rotfl::rotfl:
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    You can't set up standing orders or direct debits from savings accounts however there is nothing stopping you as people have said above opening a second current account and setting up your standing order from there to pay your rent etc

you could either open a second account with your existing bank which would give you a certain simplicity in that you would see them both listed on your app or if you wanted to sort of put a wall between the two and ring fence the money then open the account with a second bank you could try for example the app only banks starling or monzo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure