Options
13»

Comments

• pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    I assume your course that you are a graduate of wasn't maths was it!

Although it could be you don't have a good grasp of English given that the use of the word free by the OP may mean that they do only have a 6 week period due to other commitments between now and when they start in September.

Just because there are more weeks in that period doesn't mean they are all available for a job.

OP - I would advise a mixture of travel and some work - can you look at events held over the summer where they need hospitality work. Then perhaps do a few either side to give some cash.

The other option would be a potential 0% credit card, but you need to be clear on what you're willing to spend and budget on how to pay it back in a short term otherwise you are going to come unstuck.

Sentiment of travelling before work isn't a bad one as it is harder to do once in employment but you need to get the balance right.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tiger_eyes wrote: »
    You have no income and owe money. It makes no financial sense to take out a loan for a holiday. For essential job startup costs, absolutely, but taking out loans for holidays when you're already almost at your overdraft limit is the beginning of a long-term debt problem.

Not necessarily: I prefer the more balanced approach posted below you. Few people in jobs can EVER go away for as long as six weeks, so this could be a unique opportunity. And the cost of a six-week journey could be as low as a few hundred pounds.
  • Voyager2002
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    I assume your course that you are a graduate of wasn't maths was it!

And I assume that your education included neither English grammar nor any training in clear expression!
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    6 weeks at a few hundred pounds! Your having a laugh here.

Think of the cost of flights, insurwnce, accomation, food, toiletries, spending money for additional things and potentially visas depending where your going.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The £100 seemed a strange figure, but if you don't have any rent because you can quit a lease and not renew a new one during that period (assuming don't have the option of going back to parents) and take into account food costs etc being cheaper in some parts of the world then it may not be as ridiculous.

Not for me though, I'd want to spend a bit more when travelling even when younger.
  • Voyager2002
    Options
    Sncjw wrote: »
    6 weeks at a few hundred pounds! Your having a laugh here.

Think of the cost of flights, insurwnce, accomation, food, toiletries, spending money for additional things and potentially visas depending where your going.

Well, my recent tour around Armenia and Georgia. Flights under 30 pounds each way; insurance under 15 pounds; hostel accommodation below five pounds per night; food from a pound a day (if I bought things in the local market and cooked in my hostel) to perhaps twenty pounds if I went to good restaurants. I would probably have spent more staying at home: in particular toiletries and additional things could well cost less abroad than at home.

For a visit to a really cheap country such as India the main expense would be flights and visa: there are bargains on flights, although not necessarily at convenient times.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure