CSA Question

Options
124»

Comments

• medw1974
    medw1974 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    So do you get less on the new system?

On old system for a lone parent with 2 children it looks like you would've received:

Lone Parent Over 18: £57.45 +
    Dependant Children: £45.58 (Per Child) +
    Family Premium: £16.25

giving a total of £164.86

but on the new system you get the £57.45 income support and the max child tax credit you can receive annualy is:

£545 family element + £1765 per child

For 2 children that works out as around £78/week. Added to the income support this is only £135.

I've not seen those maximum figures for CTC before, but if correct then yes it will be less.

I've just remembered though that Child Benefit is deducted from the Income Support figures I gave earlier, so if it isn't from the CTC figures it may well be around the same.
  • Need_More_Money_2
    Options
    medw1974 wrote:
    I've not seen those maximum figures for CTC before, but if correct then yes it will be less.

I've just remembered though that Child Benefit is deducted from the Income Support figures I gave earlier, so if it isn't from the CTC figures it may well be around the same.

Figures came from http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/benefits/benefits_for_families_and_children.htm#child_tax_credit

As far as I know child benefit is paid regardless of whether you're on income support or not and would be in addition to income support and/or CTC.
  • medw1974
    Options
    Figures came from http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/benefits/benefits_for_families_and_children.htm#child_tax_credit

As far as I know child benefit is paid regardless of whether you're on income support or not and would be in addition to income support and/or CTC.

Thanks for the link, child benefit is definately taken from IS/JSA as i remember that from a period of having to claim JSA last year. But I can't remember if it's classed as relevant income for CTC purposes though.
  • Need_More_Money_2
    Options
    medw1974 wrote:
    Thanks for the link, child benefit is definately taken from IS/JSA as i remember that from a period of having to claim JSA last year. But I can't remember if it's classed as relevant income for CTC purposes though.

Do you mean that they reduce your IS by the amount of your child benefit?
  • medw1974
    Options
    Do you mean that they reduce your IS by the amount of your child benefit?

Yes from the maximum amounts I stated earlier, however this was under the old system when all payments including child elements were made by the DWP and not HMRC.
  • pink_phantom
    pink_phantom Posts: 733 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately you will have to pay what the CSA deem necessary and there is little you can do about it. If you feel that the children should be getting more or are missing out, could you perhapse buy them clothes and necessities etc or perhapse things that their mother could not afford on IS? Just an idea.x
    Wildly my mind beats against you, yet the soul obeys. :heartpuls

Murphys "No more pies club" member #70

Vivit post funera virtus
  • Scarlett1
    Scarlett1 Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    Options
    medw1974 wrote:
    Do you know how this works? As all the stuff I've read says upto £10, any idea what this is dependant on?

I think you just need to be on income support, the claim triggers a CSA investigation, you pay up, the majority of it goes back to the government and £10 gets sent to you're ex (credit transfer) :)

Does seem you ex isnt ready to go to work which is understandable, so IS is her best bet ;)

edit: sorry forgot to say, if you're ex isnt already on IS she should put a claim in straight away and it can take between 4 - 6 weeks to go through.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure