CSA Question

Options

Comments

• medw1974
    medw1974 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Scarlett1 wrote:
    what £50 per week on top of the £50 the csa will take off you ? :confused:

any money than is received whilst on benefits will be regarded as income, unless it £20 permitted work for a single parent, and can be regarded as benefit fraud :o

Thats why I started the post by saying it would be illegal to do so - just pointing out a way that the system could be open to abuse.
  • Scarlett1
    Scarlett1 Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    Options
    medw1974 wrote:
    Thats why I started the post by saying it would be illegal to do so - just pointing out a way that the system could be open to abuse.
    yes indeed :D
  • pink_phantom
    pink_phantom Posts: 733 Forumite
    Options
    So does child tax credit completely replace the child element of income support? Would a single parent just get the basic £57.45 as income support and then claim child tax credit?
    I think that is what happens yes.
    Wildly my mind beats against you, yet the soul obeys. :heartpuls

Murphys "No more pies club" member #70

Vivit post funera virtus
  • medw1974
    Options
    Good on you OP for finding out facts and not bleating about the fact that you have to pay. You are very informed.

I quite happily accept that I have to make a contribution for my kids - it just kind of annoys me that they will be no better off than those families where the absent parent does not make a contribution.

But I guess if I stop to think of it logically I can see the other side of the coin in that it's not fair to punish the kids of those who do not contribute.
  • Scarlett1
    Options
    So does child tax credit completely replace the child element of income support? Would a single parent just get the basic £57.45 as income support and then claim child tax credit?

yes, IS moved me over onto the new system of CTC, but I dont know if they would do that with new claims, or if the claimants has to make a claim direct from the IR :confused:
  • Scarlett1
    Options
    medw1974 wrote:
    I quite happily accept that I have to make a contribution for my kids - it just kind of annoys me that they will be no better off than those families where the absent parent does not make a contribution.
    they will be by £10 :o

If you're ex worked then she would receive all the maintenance money, thats only if she is in a position too :)
  • pink_phantom
    pink_phantom Posts: 733 Forumite
    Options
    medw1974 wrote:

But I guess if I stop to think of it logically I can see the other side of the coin in that it's not fair to punish the kids of those who do not contribute.
    I think it is refreshing to meet someone with such an honest attitude and you are one of those people who actually are more concerned with your childrens welfare than your bank balance. It is a shame there are not more people like you.Very impressed.:T
    Wildly my mind beats against you, yet the soul obeys. :heartpuls

Murphys "No more pies club" member #70

Vivit post funera virtus
  • Need_More_Money_2
    Options
    Scarlett1 wrote:
    yes, IS moved me over onto the new system of CTC, but I dont know if they would do that with new claims, or if the claimants has to make a claim direct from the IR :confused:

So do you get less on the new system?

On old system for a lone parent with 2 children it looks like you would've received:

Lone Parent Over 18: £57.45 +
    Dependant Children: £45.58 (Per Child) +
    Family Premium: £16.25

giving a total of £164.86

but on the new system you get the £57.45 income support and the max child tax credit you can receive annualy is:

£545 family element + £1765 per child

For 2 children that works out as around £78/week. Added to the income support this is only £135.
  • medw1974
    Options
    Scarlett1 wrote:
    they will be by £10 :o

If you're ex worked then she would receive all the maintenance money, thats only if she is in a position too :)

Do you know how this works? As all the stuff I've read says upto £10, any idea what this is dependant on?

Unfortunately she is not in a position to work as the youngest has just turned 1 and is still breastfeeding.
  • medw1974
    Options
    I think it is refreshing to meet someone with such an honest attitude and you are one of those people who actually are more concerned with your childrens welfare than your bank balance. It is a shame there are not more people like you.Very impressed.:T

I don't understand these absent parents who won't pay - just because the 2 of us have decided we don't have a future as a couple it's no reason for the kids to suffer.

I might just be very lucky because we are dealing with all this very amicably.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure