Mortgage application referred-what next?

Options
Hi,
I have just applied for a mortgage in principle. I was shocked to be told that the lender was not in a position to give a decision, and the application will be referred. Really shocked. I am going through a divorce and the matrimonial home is in the process of being sold.

The house I want to make an offer on is for sale at £86K. My deposit will be £55.5K. The loan will be £30.5K, over a term of 7 years. The equity in the property more than covers the loan.

This has really thrown me. No explanation, and no advice on what to do next. I am told I will receive an email explaining the decision. No idea when. I feel I have no control over my situation.

Could any body offer me any advice?

Thanks,

Rob

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You say the former matrimonial home is in the process of being sold....at what stage is this?

Are you still paying the mortgage on this?
  • RobC999
    Options
    Hi, thanks for responding.

An offer has been made on the house. My wife and I have accepted it. Conveyancers have been instructed. We still live in the house, and we are still paying the mortgage. That will continue until the house is sold. My wife has got a mortgage in principle for the house she wants. I have not for the house I want.
  • BoGoF
    Options
    You haven't been declined yet.

Without knowing details of your income and outgoings its impossible to say. Have you checked your credit files to see if anything untoward?

Did you apply today?
  • RobC999
    Options
    Debt wise, my only commitment is the mortgage. I have a clear score account. My credit score has always been reasonably high; above average. Thing is, when I try log in to ClearScore from my iPad, nothing happens, and the screen stays white. I won't be able to view my Clear Score record until I go to work on Monday, where I can use my work's PC.

Yes, I applied today.

When I was told a decision could not be made, and my application was referred, I was told that this not mean they couldn't lend to me. "they" being Leeds Building Society.
  • jaelato1
    jaelato1 Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is not an outright decline so not to worry. Application can be referred for many reasons and can eventually be approved in matters of hours or few days.
  • BoGoF
    Options
    Try MSE Credit Club and Noddle also.

Problem with applying for any financial product at weekend is that some systems are not available or specific staff not available.
  • RobC999
    Options
    Just joined MSE credit club.

Got Experian Credit Score of 999.
    99% credit hit rate.
    As for affordability score, loans and credit cards are green, mortgages grey with text "Coming soon"
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Dont worry (easier said than done) but a refer is usually because the system can not make a decision for any number of reasons.

I can not remember the last refer we had that ended up being a decline. I am sure there has been 1 or 2 but it is quite rare.

Wait and see what comes back and then we can try and help if it is a no, but at the minute it might not even be a problem, just that it needs some human intervention.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • M2808
    M2808 Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Some companies appear to have a lower limit on what they will lend on a new mortgage - is that the case?
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Could also be the relatively short term you want the mortgage for, it could cause a few eyebrows to raise due to potential high payment and your income.

Ignore the credit score and go through all open/closed accounts for defaults/arrangement to pay etc. Also, see if any CCJs are listed.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure