How do you keep track of your spending

Options
mandySaver12
mandySaver12 Posts: 32 Forumite
edited 21 August 2018 at 2:55PM in Savings & investments
I'm not bad at Excel so I'm currently building an excel spreadsheet to collate all the different bank accounts (4 in total) and credit cards (3 in total) that I have but was wondering what other people are using.

I know some banks have their own apps which categories the accounts you have with them but do they collate across banks and credit cards etc?

MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

There are a few researched guides on MSE that might help you too..

Budget Planner

How to Stop Spending

App-based banking

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    I use a spreadsheet.

The banking apps are, in my view, crude. They only group things by retailer type, rather than category, so if you spend £100 in Tesco then they will tell you that you have spent £100 on "groceries", but you may have spent £30 on alcohol, £30 on electricals, £20 on cosmetics or toiletries, and £20 on food. I don't consider that lack of discrimination to be particularly useful.
  • Mr.Saver
    Mr.Saver Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I use a free app on my phone.

I only write down the date, amount and purpose. I don't care which card or bank account is used, because I will need to repay the credit cards eventually.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I follow her down the street
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I have a yearly running total so I know in advance what goes where, figures get amended as bills go up.

Income, bills (itemised) and savings (collective) on one excel sheet, gives me the outstanding amount left for the month.

I then draw out £50pw cash for food/spends.

Savings are broken down on another (tab) excel spreadsheet. They get updated a few times a month due to interest and adding a little extra towards payday (payday week).

Then it all starts again the following month.

End of December I open up an account to lock money away which has built up over the 12 months, keeping an emergency float. January I kick start my savings off with a new tab on excel.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I keep track of account balances, browse my transaction history but I don't 'keep track of the spending'. As long as it's a transaction I recognise that's fine. There's no point worrying about how much you spend just judge each transaction on if it's really necessary and move on. Far better to keep track of your savings and investments.

Alex
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    I use a spreadsheet to track savings and bill payments. I dont track irregular spending, im just concious of what I spend. Most of it I use cash which is easier to see what you are spending/ have spent.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have got an old copy of quickbooks which is ideal - i have been using it since 2004 and used excel before that but i have several credit cards, savings accounts and current accounts which gets a bit messy in excel. You can often find old versions of quickbooks on ebay for peanuts and i actually prefer it to the later versions which seem quite bloated with too many 'features'
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    MS Money..
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use a self built excel sheet for keeping track of our finances, I don't track spending..we went to cinema today, had a pint...that's gone...the savings total will reflect this but I don't worry what is was spent on. We live within our means and don't waste money (unless you count the Christopher Robin film as a waste of money, don't tell the wife! )
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use a self made excel spreadsheet to manage one "3 pot" current account (spending, budget, savings), 2 savings current accounts and 6 credit cards. As above I don't really keep tabs on what it is spent on but make sure the bottom line of the spends account stays positive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure