Transfers of funds with different classes?

Options
Has anyone any experience of transferring funds between platforms when each platform offers a different class of the same fund?

I'm waiting for a reply from the platforms concerned and have read assorted things online ranging from "you can't" to "you can, they just make it difficult".

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is there a class they both offer or maybe find a similar fund you are comfortable holding for the transfer period?
  • rathernot
    rathernot Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    Is there a class they both offer or maybe find a similar fund you are comfortable holding for the transfer period?

No on the first point else I'd likely do a swapout.

The second option may be the simplest approach, it would just be nice if it were possible to move with a little less pain.

It seems a very manual and antiquated process in 2018 :(
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,049 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 August 2018 at 2:19PM
    Options
    Different classes of the 'same' fund are different funds (although they may share a common sub fund) and can't just be re-registered by the platform. At a simple level they will have different prices per unit so if you had 50 units at £20 per unit of class A and class B was £10 per unit you would need 100 units and this would require sale and repurchase or switch (as opposed to a conversion). Imagine trying to re-register 123 units of Woodford Equity Income for 456 units of Fundsmith
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If its a fund supermarket, you can do an in-specie transfer if the fund supermarket doesnt offer that share class. if its a whole of market platform you usually can do in-specie transfers with no issue. If its a cash transfer you would buy the new share class.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure