Hiring a live-in carer - want to make it a success - any advice?

Options
happyshopper
happyshopper Posts: 344 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
edited 19 August 2018 at 1:12PM in Over 50s MoneySaving
Hello,

Would appreciate people's advice and suggestions.

My brother and I have hired a privately funded live-in carer via an agency for my 80 year old mother, to enable her to stay in her own home as long as possible. She has mobility and memory issues, is on quite a few different medications and we've had some adaptations e.g. handrails recently installed via social services to make her flat safer. The carer starts tomorrow.

We would appreciate any tips from people with experience of hiring a live-in carer, and of what made it a success. Or alternatively, of any pitfalls to be aware of.

For example, how did you arrange to deal with money - petty cash and receipts? What works well re grocery shopping - we're thinking of giving the carer access to an online shop account.

I have power of attorney for both health and welfare and finances in place and deal with most of her finances already. The carer has a car so we are going to offer to pay any additional insurance costs so that she can use it to take mum places - does that sound sensible?

Do I need to inform the contents insurer that there's an additional person in the house?

Many thanks in advance!

Happyshopper
...nothing to see here...

Comments

• sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 August 2018 at 8:22PM
    Options
    I would install a spy cam to keep an eye on everything tbh. That is just me though. Others would not dream of doing this. Also l think you are being a little too trusting giving them access to an online shop. Just my thoughts on things. Have you had the persons DBS check done? I don't think you need to offer to pay for the Insurance for the car but you should pay the petrol and any admission prices or meals out. Yes tell the insurance about another person in the house because you can ensure you have liability cover in case the carer has an accident whilst living there. Just a few thoughts. I hope it goes well for you all .
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What plans to you have in place for carer breaks/sickness/holidays/a carer who decides it's not for them the day after they start work?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My brother and I have hired a privately funded live-in carer via an agency for my 80 year old mother, to enable her to stay in her own home as long as possible.

The carer starts tomorrow.

We would appreciate any tips from people with experience of hiring a live-in carer, and of what made it a success. Or alternatively, of any pitfalls to be aware of.

I hope you get some useful advice but, honestly, this should all have been sorted out before hiring anyone.

If the carer came through an agency which specifically supplies live-in carers, they should be able to give plenty of advice. When I looked into getting a live-in carer for my parents, the agencies had lots of rules laid down about what the carer could and couldn't do and lots of information about other people's successful experiences with live-ins.
  • sitesafe
    sitesafe Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't use country cousins as they tend to send a different one each time and charge a fee for each new person they introduce. Also they're not CQC registered. Friends Mum said they sent the most unsuitable people.
    Re car insurance if the Carer shows you a copy of car insurance and it covers 'for work purposes' you should be ok. To add it on has sometimes cost nothing or maybe up to £20 in the past.
    Carer to have DBS check in place ( criminal records) and should be able to show you a ceritifcate. Also training certs - mental capacity, first aid, food hygiene, infection control, moving and handling of people, safeguarding adults, etc etc. Qualifications such as care NVQs. Contactable references.
    It's not a job to be taken lightly so someone with longevity in this kind of job would be good as many people enter it because it's easy to get into without realising what's involved - you can feel very trapped and isolated or there may be a personality clash which makes for difficulty.
    Generally carers are available 24/7 - an allocated 2 hour break in the day and down time inbetween tasks, meaning they aren't expected to be working flat out continuously during that time.
    Work out what the plan is if the Carer is called out at night. They may expect extra money if they are called out a certain amount of times or for a certain amount of time. Also if they are disturbed a lot at night then it's not going to be fair for them to work through the rest of the next day so additional night time carer might be needed.
    Usually carers eat with the client so the client has company and has someone on hand to help with eating if required. Sadly I hear a lot about ready meals being plonked in front of the client and the Carer going off to their room to eat separately. Sometimes though the client might want to eat alone. Also can the Carer cook the type of food the elderly person likes - if they are used to a particular type of food and wish to have that then it's their choice.
    I used to do the laundry, shopping, cooking, top up cleaning, feeding and walking dogs, bathing and dressing the client, taking to medical appointments, keeping tabs on the medication and collecting prescriptions. It all depends on how demanding the client is as to how much else you can manage to do.
    If it was my parent I would feel I'd want a camera as I've seen too many clips of footage on television programmes of what could go on. Even with all of the above in place there's no guarantee - it might also give the family an insight into the hard work the Carer has to do as often it's thought you're sitting watching tv when really there's a lot more to it.
  • sitesafe
    Options
    Also record keeping - ask Carer to complete daily care notes and to sign at the end of each day. Meds taken, personal care given, meals eaten, visitors, outings, things done independently etc. A page a day A4 diary will often suffice.
    My client's son used to visit weekly and top up the petty cash to a certain amount per week. I'd do the grocery shopping and record expenditure on a sheet along with the receipt, showing balance. As you usually provide food it tends to be assumed you eat with - I don't think you'd be expected to cater for a separate lot of shopping or expensive tastes, but I guess some might.
  • sitesafe
    Options
    Also helpful to get a Carer that speaks the same language as your mother fluently and clearly - difficult enough as it is for a person with say dementia or hard of hearing to understand what anyone is saying - unfamiliar accents might make this even more difficult for them.
    Someone who can cook proper healthy meals that your mother likes - of her choice. She has the right to choose the food she wishes to eat.
    Visitors of the Carer are generally not allowed - I've heard of people sneaking in partners when the client is asleep! However it sounds like you've just taken someone only one person on. They will want time off or to see friends at some point.
    Hope it works out and you have a good Carer
  • happyshopper
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your helpful comments, it has actually reassured me as we have most things covered it seems.
    Mojisola wrote: »
    I hope you get some useful advice but, honestly, this should all have been sorted out before hiring anyone.

If the carer came through an agency which specifically supplies live-in carers, they should be able to give plenty of advice. When I looked into getting a live-in carer for my parents, the agencies had lots of rules laid down about what the carer could and couldn't do and lots of information about other people's successful experiences with live-ins.

I agree it would have been ideal to have had more time to sort out the details, but we had to arrange care at short notice in order for mum to be discharged from hospital, so it is what it is, unfortunately. The agency hasn't specified anything that the carer won't do, but I will check with them.
    sukysue wrote: »
    I would install a spy cam to keep an eye on everything tbh. That is just me though. Others would not dream of doing this. Also l think you are being a little too trusting giving them access to an online shop. Just my thoughts on things. Have you had the persons DBS check done? I don't think you need to offer to pay for the Insurance for the car but you should pay the petrol and any admission prices or meals out. Yes tell the insurance about another person in the house because you can ensure you have liability cover in case the carer has an accident whilst living there. Just a few thoughts. I hope it goes well for you all .

I hope we won't need a spycam but thanks for the suggestion. Will keep it in mind. Yes, she has a current DBS. I haven't given them access to an online shop for now.
    elsien wrote: »
    What plans to you have in place for carer breaks/sickness/holidays/a carer who decides it's not for them the day after they start work?

The agency care co-ordinator arranges cover etc. when needed, and can put another carer in place within a couple of days if that were to happen. I'm also available to cover short breaks.

sitesafe - Really useful to hear your experiences as a carer, thank you. It's not Country Cousins, but thanks for the warning. The car insurance doesn't cover work, so we are going to find out how much to add it on. DBS is in place. 2 hour daily break is arranged. Carer enjoys cooking so am hoping there won't be too many ready meals. Mum will certainly tell me if there are! Carer will complete daily electronic records which she submits to the agency, but I can have access to them. We have arranged she will have some petty cash and keep receipts for any expenditure. Same language spoken.

Thanks again!

Happyshopper
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    Where I work you'd put in the mileage and then the client is billed per mile (I think it's 35p a mile where I work) so ask the agency if they do that or if it's something else.

On paper I'm a live in Carer as I do 24 hour shifts often (get to sleep obviously), but we have to take all our food with us. If we eat out we have to pay. Service users pays bus fare, activities while out (if they like the cinema look into a cea card).

Petty cash needs a balance sheet. If one of you are dropping the money off I'd get a carbon copy book - Wilkos are most reasonable but whsmiths do sell them so then you both can sign yo say money is received then one stays in the book and one in the file. Same for if petty cash is needed for parking for example, can then be signed on the carbon book but most things should be receipt end and then stapled to the back of the sheet after it's been numbered.

Your mum might enjoy a ride out shopping. I've took folk out shopping loads. If she's in a wheelchair there's wheelchair friendly trolleys and in some places I'm sure I've seen mobility scooters to rent.

I'd inform the content insurer, just to cover your back. I don't know if it will change owt but it's worth being careful.

You should be able to ask for Mars sheets for signing meds from the pharmacy and possibly Mds packs (boots certainly do them), but it's easier to keep track of meds, for reordering as it tells you. Plus it's easy to see if there being popped.

If they can't/ don't want to add business insurance and they have a bus pass could possibly use public transport. Breaks the day up too.
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but could you give me a rough idea how much this type of care costs?

My mum has Alzheimers and we recently went on holiday, having carers visiting 4 times a day, but it didn't work as well as I think a live-in carer would.

Thanks.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • happyshopper
    happyshopper Posts: 344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 21 August 2018 at 4:34PM
    Options
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but could you give me a rough idea how much this type of care costs?

The agency we are using (North London) charges £135 per day (I know, yikes!). We may eventually explore other options that might be cheaper but we had to get something sorted quickly. So far so good, the carer seems great.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport