Loan after getting a Mortgage - Consolidate Debt

Options
tuga608
tuga608 Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 18 September 2019 at 3:41PM in Loans
Hello all and thank you for taking the time to give some help

So me and my partner just bought a house, we will only move in in about 2 months time as its a new build, the cost is £285k

my salary as self employed is £42k however on paper for finance purposes only shows around 24k

me partner is full time 19K

this is our currently debt
money I owe to family - £11.000
HSBC Credit card - £4348 / Limit £4500 - 0% Interest for another 22 months
MBNA Credit Card - £3410 / Limit £3500 - 37.97% P/A
Aqua Credit Card - £5077 / Limit £6800 - (waiting to find out)

On top of all of this, once I enter the new house in November I still have to find money for this

House Extras (left to pay to enter the house) - £4500
Dentist - £2500

All together is a total of - £30.835
________________________________________________________________________________

my question or the solution I'm looking at is..

The mortgage still doesn't show on our credit reports since we have not moved in, however once we move in, I'm planning on trying to take a loan to consolidate debt of 25K or something like that to pay over 3 to 5 years, whatever is more beneficial for us.

Her credit score is fair and mine is fair almost poor since most things are in my name (car, credit cards, etc)

how likely am I to actually be approved for a loan once the mortgage/house is actually showing on paper ?

if this fails / not possible, what do you advise on how to proceed ?

As you can tell I'm quite in a very deep situation where I don't even know where to bury my head!

Thank you in advance for your help

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not enough information to say. Your scores are made up so don't give any guide to your changes.

What appears on your credit files? What's your track record of managing credit? How much are you currently throwing at the debt - and what are the rates?

The new mortgage and change of address will make things more difficult for a while.

Your incomes are also too low to get the sort of loan you're talking about, so you;ll need to aim more modestly. Have you consider BT cards?
  • tuga608
    Options
    will edit the original post now and add real values, thank you for the quick response
  • tuga608
    Options
    Not sure whats on my credit files but there might be 1 or 2 defaults over 2/3 years ago, since then its been clear.

Im currently paying my family £1000 a month, Aqua £150 and the other £100.

What do you mean BT Cards / I never heard of that, and how can that help ?

Thank You
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think you earn enough to borrow more - to be honest I am surprised that you have got approved for what you have. The family loan is helping to mask your debt exposure by being off the books.
    Have you had the dental treatment - if not then that probably needs to wait unless they are offering a 0% installment plan. Probably even then as it still needs to be paid.
    Do you have the £4500 move in fee saved? If not then this is probably going to be your biggest challenge.
    Forget consolidating - that is not going to happen.
    You might - but I suspect not - be able to get a 0% balance transfer card to help with the horrendous interest on MBNA.
    I suggest filling in a proper SOA to see if there is anything in there that could be reduced.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • tuga608
    Options
    Have you had the dental treatment - if not then that probably needs to wait unless they are offering a 0% installment plan. Probably even then as it still needs to be paid.

Yes, its 3 appointments to add a implant, I already had the 1st and paid the first of 3 installments, the next one is in October and its £1700 then in December for the remaining £800. so cant really escape that now.
    Do you have the £4500 move in fee saved? If not then this is probably going to be your biggest challenge.

No, for that I will have to - use money from my business account + use my partners credit card (aqua) limited to £1700, but since its a new card is 0% interest for around the next 20 months.
    Forget consolidating - that is not going to happen.

that's unfortunate as it would be so much easier even if it was over 1 year or 6 years.
    You might - but I suspect not - be able to get a 0% balance transfer card to help with the horrendous interest on MBNA.
    I suggest filling in a proper SOA to see if there is anything in there that could be reduced.

I will look into that
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tuga608 wrote: »

No, for that I will have to - use money from my business account + use my partners credit card (aqua) limited to £1700, but since its a new card is 0% interest for around the next 20 months.

How are you planning to get the money from the aqua card - do they accept payment by credit card?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How did you manage to secure a mortgage for a £285,000 house on that income with that amount of debt?

I assume you didn't tell them your true debt levels and not sure what you mean you earn £42,000 but on paper for financial purposes its £24,000.
  • tuga608
    Options
    How did you manage to secure a mortgage for a £285,000 house on that income with that amount of debt?

My daily rate is high and my accountant which was also my financial mortgage advisory somehow can use my daily rate as if it was a salary, and on top of that the help to buy schedule and my partners wage, managed to get us there.
    I assume you didn't tell them your true debt levels and not sure what you mean you earn £42,000 but on paper for financial purposes its £24,000.

the debt has only been "pilling" from the moment i had to leave 12.500 deposit and then had to switch cars which was another £5000.
    and on paper / credit report what appears as my company "profit" it appears 24k, not sure how it works but i think it only shows the dividends after paying all my expenses

Not sure how those questions are relevant for the post but anyhow.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    Options
    Im currently paying my family £1000 a month

You need to scrap that and throw the £1000 a month at your credit cards. That will bring down the amount of debt shown on your credit history, which will result in you being viewed more favourably by potential lenders.

To be honest with that level of debt and your incomes I am struggling to see how you got the mortgage approved. On the face of it, your financial position looks very precarious I would be very uncomfortable in your shoes. Your house of cards is at risk of collapsing.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure how those questions are relevant for the post but anyhow.

They aren't relevant, your answer was in post #2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure