Off to Paris. Any hints & tips please.

Options

Comments

• AHAR
    AHAR Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, A couple of places I enjoyed going for a wander were the Promenade plant!e which is a linear park along the viaduct of an old railway line, and Père Lachaise Cemetery which is very atmospheric.
  • Mariobug25
    Mariobug25 Posts: 294 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hope neither of you need lifts there is barely any!! We were having to lug a buggy up and down tons of flights of stairs!!! Any you do find will be broken !!!!

Eiffel Tower is a must but don’t expect to go up on the slot you book. We booked for 1pm slot but we’re still queuing to go up at 3....
    Sorry didn’t rate Paris much at all! :/ seems unable to handle the tourism imo
  • El8482
    El8482 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I’ve been to Paris on several occasions and studied in Paris as well, and let me tell you: each time was different. Despite spending a decent amount of time in Paris I still haven’t seen everything and I also made a few mistakes on the way. So it is very nice that you preparing before going there. Good luck
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dontone wrote: »
    Obviously Notre Dame is out (but I think there is a nice looking church nearby, but can't remember the name of it).
    I would still go to Notre Dame as the facade is intact if they allow you to go to the square in front of it. Sainte Chapelle may be the church you are thinking of which is on the same island. Again I've no idea whether access is still limited.

Other impressive churches are Saint Sulpice near the Luxembourg Gardens and Saint Germain des Pres both on the left bank and Saint Eustache near les Halles. No charges for any of these, nor were there for Notre Dame (compare and contrast with British cathedrals!).
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    I would still go to Notre Dame as the facade is intact if they allow you to go to the square in front of it. Sainte Chapelle may be the church you are thinking of which is on the same island. Again I've no idea whether access is still limited.

Other impressive churches are Saint Sulpice near the Luxembourg Gardens and Saint Germain des Pres both on the left bank and Saint Eustache near les Halles. No charges for any of these, nor were there for Notre Dame (compare and contrast with British cathedrals!).

We were going to have a wander there just to see the facade. It's a shame that the fire happened as although we aren't religious, we like going into places like that for the history.
    I'm surprised that there is no charge for any of the other churches, and I like that. Over here, the prices are outrageous. I do think that there shouldn't be a charge to visit a place of worship. If you want to make a small donation, that should suffice.

Thanks for all the tips so far everybody.
    And we don't need to use any lifts (might come in useful on the third day, mind lol).
    We are going to have a look at booking some tickets online like we did for Rome & Barca as it's so much easier to do it that way.
    Thanks again.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Sacre-Cœur is amazing as is the area around it. Also if arriving by Euro Star don't get conned by the meet and greets in the station for cabs they're all rip off merchants. If you want a cab go to the rank itself or better still use public transport.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We were going to have a wander there just to see the facade. It's a shame that the fire happened as although we aren't religious, we like going into places like that for the history.
    I'm surprised that there is no charge for any of the other churches, and I like that. Over here, the prices are outrageous. I do think that there shouldn't be a charge to visit a place of worship. If you want to make a small donation, that should suffice.

Thanks for all the tips so far everybody.
    And we don't need to use any lifts (might come in useful on the third day, mind lol).
    We are going to have a look at booking some tickets online like we did for Rome & Barca as it's so much easier to do it that way.
    Thanks again.

We visited Durham Cathederal and there was no charge.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    We visited Durham Cathederal and there was no charge.

That's unusual. The cathedral closest to us charges £8.50 admission and say on their website that they receive no funding from the Church??? The next closest charges £7.50 but say it's a recommended donation so not sure how aggressively they look for them.

That's for people visiting as an historic site though. Anyone can attend a service (several each day) free of charge.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

The problem is the parties of foreign language students, taken to visit cathedrals as part of the package that the language school provides. As matters stands, the language school pays the entrance fee and obviously this is passed on to the parents. If it were a requested donation instead, virtually none of the teenage language students would give anything.

There are usually loopholes to the entrance fees: I know that Exeter cathedral does not charge fees for entrance during the final hour of each day, and probably there are similar policies at other cathedrals.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    St Pauls is £20 per person. The top of the Sacre Coeur is €5 and the main building free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure