Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Charity collection buckets

Options
Ianna
Ianna Posts: 581 Forumite
Hello all!

Does anyone know where the cheapest place to get collection buckets and boxes is? I'm doing a street collection and council legislation says that I need to use official collection buckets but the cheapest price seems to be about £6 each! And I want about 5!

Any ideas moneysavers?

Comments

• oldtoolie
    oldtoolie Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    It might sound cheeky but ask another charity if you can borrow a few buckets. Make your own cover and away you go. There's nothing special about the buckets -- you just have to be able to seal them.

Larry Boyd
    Tools for Self Reliance
    www.tfsr.org
    Thanks to MSE for making TFSR one of your charities of the year
  • youngie
    youngie Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    won't the charity you are collecting for supply buckets or collection tins?
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    THere are strict regulations as to the type of collection tins and buckets you can use, especially as to how they are sealed. Each collecting tin has to be sealed with a sticker, numbered, and allotted to a specific collector. They are then only opened in the presence of your nominated counters, and each tin's contents individually counted.
    Please please ensure you follow the rules. Can you talk to an admin person of another local charity who can give you some help?
  • ShreksBodyDouble
    Options
    Like Youngie says, you should be able to get them free of charge from the charity you're collecting for. We've often asked the HDA for collection boxes and they are happy to supply them. I suppose it may depend on the charity though........
  • Ianna
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys, I checked the council info about buckets and there's loads of really strict rules about seals and what not. Good thing you gave me a heads up!

My charity can't supply any (they're teeny) but I've found some on ebay. I'm just going to have to spend cash out getting them but hopefully it'll be worth it.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If it's a teeny local charity, you can ask to be reimbursed for the cost of the buckets as they'll be useful in future! Even if it's a teeny non-local charity, you can ask for this if you expect to collect for them in the future. Actually, whatever the situation you can ask to be reimbursed, it sounds a reasonable request to me.

And if you don't wish to be reimbursed, the charity may still need to keep a list of 'gifts in kind' so they know what they've benefitted from that they would otherwise have had to spend money on, IYSWIM.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't know how much Ebay are charging but I saw these :

http://www.peeks.co.uk/productlisting.asp?strareano=PRODUCTCATEGORY_2_19
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • Ianna
    Options
    Thanks to all of you. And I've just read your sig mountainofdebt, many many congratulations!
  • charityfundraiser
    Options
    I use a charity suppliers called Care from Contraband, they sell charity collection buckets and boxes. The minimum order on boxes is 8 but I'm not sure about boxes. Google them to find out the prices.
  • Fundraising_2
    Options
    Hi,

I bought some collection boxes recently from ebay - they were less than £5 each bought singly and worked out even cheaper if you bought say 4 or 6, about £3.50 each. They came with a seal already on them and a spare for each box purchased,

I have also seen the large buckets on there, I think they are in the region of about £9.00 each. If you just do a seach for "charity collection" it will bring several up for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure