Re-applying for PIP

Options
A friend with PTSD and BPD was turned down for PIP and with support followed the appeal procedure through to the Tribunal. The Tribunal awarded her 11points for mobility and 4 points for care, which was really quite surprising. We thought when we looked at the Tribunals decision that the points had went into the wrong box !

From what I understand if you’ve been made no award you can reapply immediately, but what’s the rule if you’ve been made an award (Standard Rate Mobility), how long do you have to wait until you can reapply or submit a new claim

Thanks for any information you can offer

Kevin

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    kah22 wrote: »
    A friend with PTSD and BPD was turned down for PIP and with support followed the appeal procedure through to the Tribunal. The Tribunal awarded her 11points for mobility and 4 points for care, which was really quite surprising. We thought when we looked at the Tribunals decision that the points had went into the wrong box !

From what I understand if you’ve been made no award you can reapply immediately, but what’s the rule if you’ve been made an award (Standard Rate Mobility), how long do you have to wait until you can reapply or submit a new claim

Thanks for any information you can offer

Kevin
    They can't submit a new claim because they already have an award in place. What they need to do is report a change of circumstances for a worsening condition. Do be aware that by doing this they risk losing everything they already have.
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I.thought that might have been the case and I do understand the bit about loosing everything.

Personally I think it would be a big gamble, for to be honest I can’t see why they give her mobility, unless, of course, it was a ploy to insure she didn’t immediately submit another claim. She has an asthma condition, and that could be the reason)
  • poppy12345
    Options
    I can’t see why they give her mobility, unless, of course, it was a ploy to insure she didn’t immediately submit another claim. She has an asthma condition, and that could be the reason)

It would not have been a ploy as they were awarded by a Tribunal who are totally independent to DWP and the health assessment providers.

Whether or not they are entitled to any daily living award will totally depend how their conditions affect them because PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis.
  • kah22
    Options
    Yes I see what you are saying about the tribunals decision. I hadn’t thought of that. Tell me though can she say that her care needs have changed and request that only that section of the award be looked at?

Anyway I’ll leave it to my friend to make up her own mind in association with her local Advice Centre I’m just gathering information on what can and can’t be done
  • micky2phones
    Options
    Hi, no they look at the whole award not just one part.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’ll leave it to my friend to make up her own mind in association with her local Advice Centre. I’m just gathering info...

Good plan.

Did she write to the TS to request a statement of reasons?
    That's an obvious first step (if still within the time limits), and is explained in her decision notice
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • kah22
    Options
    Yes she has requested SOR and is waiting on it to arrive.

After she receives the SOR it will be up to her and her representative to decide what is the best course of action. I’m staying away from that.

All I’m doing at the moment is finding out what potential avenues are open to her, and giving her some general advice and support
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Yes she has requested SOR and is waiting on it to arrive.

After she receives the SOR it will be up to her and her representative to decide what is the best course of action. I’m staying away from that.
    She won't be able to appeal the decision unless an error in law is found. If it's not found then her only option is reporting a worsening of condition, as advised.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure