When should I initiate leaving BT?

Options
My 12 month contract with BT ends on 7th November.

Can someone clarify when I should initiate my switch?

I was told by PlusNet to do it 10 days before the end of my contract, but I have seen 14 days mentioned elsewhere, I obviously don't want to be doing it too soon and having to pay any fees for leaving too soon or incurring another month of line rental for doing it too late.

I am looking at going back to PlusNet, but it will obviously depend on the deals available at the time.

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I'd do it no more than a couple of weeks before the 7th to ensure you don't leave before that date. Purely becuase I believe BT charge you for the hub they supply if you leave before your minimum term, even 1 day.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 October 2017 at 9:40PM
    Options
    You should err on the side of caution , even if it means paying BT a part month payment, you need to give 30 days notice, so that's around 7th October ( already passed that date) , but migrations can be done in 10-14 days, given that starting a migration gives the notice to the provider you are leaving, it's unclear if your old provider only needs 10-14 days notice or sticks to the 30 days.
    if you give notice now , by getting Plusnet to start the migration and it takes place before 7th Nov, ( which is quite possible ) , you could be looking at early term charges ,router costs etc.
    If you waited until around 28th October, then the changeover should be after 7th Nov, and even if it's a couple of days after that , you pay BT the full month then get a refund of the part month so if for example the changeover was 10th Nov, you only pay for 3 days at the out of contract BT price, the rest of the month is refunded....building in a couple of days 'grace' could be a lot cheaper than changing over a couple of days before the 7th Nov, and given that Plusnet won't really care what date the changeover happens ( it's your problem not theirs ) and the migration date can slip , trying to get it to happen on the exact date your minimum term with BT expires is a bit risky, as is asking Plusnet to migrate now but set the changeover date for the 7th of Nov
  • thebirches
    Options
    Thank you both for taking the time to reply to my question.

I will leave it till the end of the month before I proceed, as it makes good sense to be cautious.
  • john-306
    john-306 Posts: 722 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good question as my BT BB and Phone ends 14th Nov.
    My problem is I'm away for 2 weeks till 10th Nov, I suppose I'll give them 30 days notice around the 25th Oct and that should give me time to get home , sort another provider out and still be in notice but not having to pay too much extra to BT.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2017 at 6:10PM
    Options
    john-306 wrote: »
    Good question as my BT BB and Phone ends 14th Nov.
    My problem is I'm away for 2 weeks till 10th Nov, I suppose I'll give them 30 days notice around the 25th Oct and that should give me time to get home , sort another provider out and still be in notice but not having to pay too much extra to BT.

If you just give BT 'notice' without already have chosen a new provider (letting that 'new' provider migrate your service to them,) you run the risk of the line being totally ceased, then having to get it re connected , probably causing a period with no service at all from either the old or new provider, and it costs more too, as you get a broadband cease charge on the final bill from the old provider.

If you intend to keep the 'line' just another company providing telephony and broadband over it, use the migration process and let the new company arrange everything , including giving 'notice' to your old provider
  • john-306
    john-306 Posts: 722 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    iniltous wrote: »
    If you just give BT 'notice' without already have chosen a new provider (letting that 'new' provider migrate your service to them,) you run the risk of the line being totally ceased, then having to get it re connected , probably causing a period with no service at all from either the old or new provider, and it costs more too, as you get a broadband cease charge on the final bill from the old provider.

If you intend to keep the 'line' just another company providing telephony and broadband over it, use the migration process and let the new company arrange everything , including giving 'notice' to your old provider

Ok that makes sense, I was just thinking to stop paying another full month after my contract was up I'd need to tell them I was leaving.
    So to get this correct, my BB + phone contract is up on the 14th Nov, I come back of hols on the 10th Nov, I then sort out a new provider which may take a couple of weeks to swap over, until that swap occurs I just pay BT part of that month I use?
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport