Driving colleague's cars in work carpark

Options

Comments

• Bobbyblu
    Bobbyblu Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    So I definitely am not insured at all as I am only a named driver. And it's dubious as to whether others are. And even if we did have adequate insurance it probably wouldn't be valid on the land anyway. Bit of a catch 22 really. They tell us we have to park like that that and move other people's vehicles yet all drivers park at their own risk, they are not responsible even of its their vans/buses that hit your car.
    Slightly !!!!!!ed either way then, unless we refuse to do it.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Bobbyblu wrote: »
    So I definitely am not insured at all as I am only a named driver. And it's dubious as to whether others are. And even if we did have adequate insurance it probably wouldn't be valid on the land anyway. Bit of a catch 22 really. They tell us we have to park like that that and move other people's vehicles yet all drivers park at their own risk, they are not responsible even of its their vans/buses that hit your car.
    Slightly !!!!!!ed either way then, unless we refuse to do it.

It would..
  • Bobbyblu
    Options
    Ok. Well I know that I am not at least. Thank you
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are only a named driver on your policy who uses the car the most?
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No it won't, it will be a public place if it's open open to the public.

This is wrong: the fact that employees, employers, postmen, parcel co's access it means it is a public place. Just as it is if you drive up and down your private farm road drunk and hit the postman in his van you would be done for DD.
  • Bobbyblu
    Options
    Really sorry but I can't figure how to quote answers.
    Paddedjohn, my husband uses it the most but on the occasions I take it I wondered where we stand plus I am still having to drive other staff members cars.
  • Bobbyblu
    Options
    paddedjohn wrote: »
    If you are only a named driver on your policy who uses the car the most?
    Think I've done it. Sorry my husband uses it most and normally takes me in but there are occasions I can have it. I'm still having to move other staff members cars though.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As a named driver unless the policy certificate says otherwise which is very unlikely you are not insured to drive any vehicle other than the one you are named on the insurance for. When you are moving a colleagues car you are doing so uninsured. As has been stated above the fact that employees and delivery drivers have access to the site means for insurance and police prosecution purposes it would be regarded as a public road.

So for example whilst moving a colleagues car you hit another car, person or object you would be personally responsible for the full cost of any damage incurred and if the police were called you would face a driving without insurance charge which normally incurs 6 points and results in increased insurance premiums. The reality is the insurers of the car you were driving uninsured would pay for the damage and recover the full costs from you.

Another thing to consider is that if a colleague similarly uninsured moves your car and causes damage your husbands insurers would have to pay for the damage but would then look to recover these costs from you for giving permission to an uninsured driver and the driver for not having insurance.

These types of arrangements never end well.
  • Bobbyblu
    Options
    angrycrow wrote: »
    As a named driver unless the policy certificate says otherwise which is very unlikely you are not insured to drive any vehicle other than the one you are named on the insurance for. When you are moving a colleagues car you are doing so uninsured. As has been stated above the fact that employees and delivery drivers have access to the site means for insurance and police prosecution purposes it would be regarded as a public road.

So for example whilst moving a colleagues car you hit another car, person or object you would be personally responsible for the full cost of any damage incurred and if the police were called you would face a driving without insurance charge which normally incurs 6 points and results in increased insurance premiums. The reality is the insurers of the car you were driving uninsured would pay for the damage and recover the full costs from you.

Another thing to consider is that if a colleague similarly uninsured moves your car and causes damage your husbands insurers would have to pay for the damage but would then look to recover these costs from you for giving permission to an uninsured driver and the driver for not having insurance.

These types of arrangements never end well.

It's as I thought then. I'm not insured. I need to look for another position as I know bringing it up will not end well.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Is there really nowhere within half a mile or so of the place where you can park legally? I used to work somewhere like that with a tiny work carpark where everyone was always blocking everyone else in, in the end I just decided it was far too much hassle parking there and found a quiet street half a mile away with no parking restrictions and parked there every day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure