Mortgage PPI help please

Options
Hi there,

Thanks to this wonderful site, I'm taking the plunge in trying to reclaim some mortgage PPI (that I cancelled last year but still paid nearly £2000 on!) but am wondering who to claim from. The guy that gave me the 'financial advise' works for Sequence UK (the estate agents are part of the same group I think) but the actual PPI policy was with Wessex Insurance.
So who should I send my claim to - Sequence or Wessex?
Sorry if this is a dumb question and thanks in advance for any help
Cheers, Sam.

(thanks to Di for pointing me to start a new thread on this one too :) )

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    2feet wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks to this wonderful site, I'm taking the plunge in trying to reclaim some mortgage PPI (that I cancelled last year but still paid nearly £2000 on!) but am wondering who to claim from. The guy that gave me the 'financial advise' works for Sequence UK (the estate agents are part of the same group I think) but the actual PPI policy was with Wessex Insurance.
    Cheers, Sam.

Hi

And your welcome.;)

I'm sure Dunstonh and/or MagpieCottage will be along soon, good luck.:)

Di
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • 2feet
    2feet Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Sorry to bump my own thread but can anyone help me out please?
    I'd rather have a crack at doing it myself before considering one of the companies out there who will take a cut and this is the last thing I need before I can go ahead - Cheers :)
    2feet wrote: »
    Hi there,

Cheers, Sam.

• di3004
    Options
    Dunstonh or MagpieCottage......

Please do you think you can check this one out for "2feet" please.:D

Cheers.

Di
  • di3004
    Options
    Bumping :D;)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You complain to the adviser that sold it.

However, you need to be aware that the mass PPI reclaiming tends to be focused on loans and credit cards. Its very much less focused on mortgages. Indeed, the only real area where mortgages are considered a mis-sale is if its single premium or you were not eligible. If its monthly payment and you are eligible for cover then its a pretty easy rejection by the adviser.

Unlike loan and credit cards, the use of a financial adviser means that there will be needs analysis and a statement of demands and needs.

So, what reason do you think it was mis-sold?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • 2feet
    2feet Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    You complain to the adviser that sold it.

However, you need to be aware that the mass PPI reclaiming tends to be focused on loans and credit cards. Its very much less focused on mortgages. Indeed, the only real area where mortgages are considered a mis-sale is if its single premium or you were not eligible. If its monthly payment and you are eligible for cover then its a pretty easy rejection by the adviser.

Unlike loan and credit cards, the use of a financial adviser means that there will be needs analysis and a statement of demands and needs.

So, what reason do you think it was mis-sold?

Basically because I already had a critical illness cover through work but was told that I needed to take out payment protection insurance pretty much as a condition of the mortgage. I got the hard sell and didn't really think that I could say no is the crux of it really. Sounds like you don't think that I'd stand much of a chance with that though?

Thanks for your advice too :)
  • di3004
    Options
    Cheers Dunstonh, and good luck 2Feet;)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Basically because I already had a critical illness cover through work but was told that I needed to take out payment protection insurance pretty much as a condition of the mortgage.

Critical illness cover is not seen as a replacement for income protection. So, no overlap there. Until the late 90s, lenders were allowed to force insurance to be taken to get a certain deal. Since then though they couldnt.
    Sounds like you don't think that I'd stand much of a chance with that though?

Sometimes complaints that would, on paper, have little chance of success do succeed whilst others that look like dead cert complaints fail. So, it pays to keep an open mind when saying if its likely or not.

On paper, I dont think you have much of a chance as its monthly premium, it doesnt overlap with existing cover (CI doesnt count) and its unlikely that there is any evidence to say you were forced to have it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • saraanddarren
    Options
    kanehodges wrote: »
    hi i do work for a company that claims back ppi.

No win no Fee
    No upfront fee

I can see no problems that you would encounter i have a 98% sucess rate. the only problem with going to the banks or lenders yourself is that you wont recieve the full amount or the compensation and commission that was charged. in most cases this more than covers our charges anyway. i will gladly help if you ever get stuck just message me or call us

01604 602919

Nuff said....please don`t listen to folk and companies who say they can claim for you - apologies if i`m wrong and the above poster is legit but i`ve been waiting three years for a claim....only to be told by the solicitors that they cannot `win` enough fees to cover their non existent legal help!!!

Do it yourself......please....and as the above people said you don`t know unless you try. contact the FOS....you have nothing to lose!
  • halphy
    halphy Posts: 593 Forumite
    Options
    Nuff said....please don`t listen to folk and companies who say they can claim for you - apologies if i`m wrong and the above poster is legit but i`ve been waiting three years for a claim....only to be told by the solicitors that they cannot `win` enough fees to cover their non existent legal help!!!

Do it yourself......please....and as the above people said you don`t know unless you try. contact the FOS....you have nothing to lose!

Here Here!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport