Collision: Whose fault is it?

Options

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would say it's the van drivers fault.
    It looks like he was going to exit left at the 14 second mark then at the last moment realised he didn't want to but in fact wanted the next left and then swerved a bit to the right and into the lane you were in.
    I disagree, the van drivers right hand indicator was on throughout, I didn't see him swerve, I saw the car driver turn into him.
  • neilmcl
    Options
    Van 100% he moved lanes
    Did he, that's not what I saw.
  • neilmcl
    Options
    van indicating right on left lane at round about, Surely he had just left his indicator on rather than intentionally doing that
    Not necessarily. Would be nice to know where this roundabout is, I know of a couple in my area where you can turn right from the left hand lane. Irrelevent though as his intentions were clear for all to see from the outset.
  • neilmcl
    Options
    You're right, the car veered across into a lane that was already and very visibly occupied. Simple.
    I see what you did there (almost caught me out) ;)
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you keep an eye on the double yellows on the inside of the roundabout, the car seems to stop following the line and veers off into the rear of the van. Also seems like the van had got ahead of the car and the car is accelerating up behind the van when it hits. Poor driving by both and will go 50/50 for insurance purposes.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP you're aware your car registration is showing in the video?

Tbh its a tough call, but everything in the video looks like the car was indicating & intending to come off the roundabout at the 3rd exit, didn't check the lane to the left of them was clear and started to move over assuming it would be.

I'd say 5050. Van driver should have been in the right lane, car should have moved over to the left lane (easing off accelerator to drop behind the van if necessary) after passing the coned exit instead of trying to exit from the right lane onto a single lane exit.

Although the van driver gave a further display of their awesome driving knowledge by stopping where he did to exchange details - where theres a double solid white line in the centre of the road which is probably there due to it being dangerous to overtake on such a bend.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • CYPER
    CYPER Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here is the roundabout: https://goo.gl/maps/8pdySQknjtq
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    He's in the wrong lane but the van is clearly indicating before both he and the car join the roundabout.

This was easily avoidable by the car driver.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The van driver looks as if they are doing the classic cut around the corner instead of staying on the outside (left) as much as possible.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Personally, I'd put it as 50/50.

It does appear that the van moved over to the right just before the impact but as Nobbie stated earlier, if you use the lines on the inside of the roundabout as a reference, the car does move over to the left.

Looking at the photo of the bumper. A bit of WD40 to get the rubber/plastic off then a good going over with polish should hopefully get it looking good again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure