Posting prohibited items

Options
Hi all, apologies if this is not in the right place, but I am a bit puzzled as to how I am supposed to send something that is on the prohibited list for all couriers including the Royal Mail.

The most obvious answer, is not to do so, I know, but I know this is an item that is being sent hundreds, if not thousands, of times a day, so what gives?

I am talking, in this case, about aftershave.

It is not permitted to post any flammable liquid, including alcohol and aftershave. It is not a matter of you won't be covered if anything happens to it, it is just not allowed.

So, how do Fragrance Direct and all the other online perfume sellers, manage?

I have sold a bottle which I want to send, it is carefully wrapped, but, you can hear the liquid moving if you tip the parcel up. I don't know how to stop that, although, of course, that is a moot point if I can't even post it.

My local post office staff always want to know what is in my parcels - I swear sometimes they are just being nosy, because they often comment on why people are buying that etc - so what do I do? Lie? What should I tell them it is? Especially if they can hear the liquid moving. If I tell the truth then they definitely can't take it.

Aaargh! Any thoughts, please? (Other than don't send it, because I have already covered that)

Comments

• A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 November 2019 at 5:09PM
    Options
    There must be carriers who will deliver it.
    I sometimes order from APCPure and there are also companies who deliver spirits so it must be possible with the correct delivery company using the correct delivery plan.

The APCPure deliveries are marked on the outer box that they contain potentially harmful material. They usually use APC overnight BTW therefore it might be worth checking them out. I am fairly certain that they have also used Parcelforce on some occasions but I am not 100% certain as to the precise contents possibly strong ie 35% hydrogen peroxide before it became a restricted item only saleable to companies came into force ie not for public sale. That order was extremely heavy several (might of been 3) large boxes each of 4 by 5 litre plastic bottles.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Companies can arrange to send items with RM that would not be allowed for individuals.

They definitely can't be sent internationally but I think perfumes and aftershaves are restricted rather than prohibited in the UK providing they are under 150ml and in the original packaging. They must be declared at the counter in a PO so they can be appropriately labelled.

This page
    https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/uk-what-can-i-send
    has a link to a leaflet with the details.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,257 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not all,perfumes and aftershaves are banned from RM within the U.K., so check your amounts and read the restrictions. Until recently I had a perfume that I could send two of in one box but not three as it exceeded the liquid amounts
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Nobodylistens
    Options
    Thanks chaps, I did check the post office website for prohibited items before posting but, weirdly, they just said all perfume or aftershave, except for perfumed lotions. Following your link above gave me more, including the quantities allowed. Whether the jobsworths at my local branch will agree is another matter. Sadly they are often wrong.
    It definitely isn't going abroad so at least that's okay.
    Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated x

UK - Allowed in the mail, see restrictions and packaging guidelines below:
    Volume per item must not exceed 150ml.
    No more than four items in any one parcel.
    Must be sent in its original retail packaging, placed in strong outer packaging and cushioned to prevent breakage.
    An ID8000 label must be applied (see example ID8000 label).
    The sender's name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.
    These items must be presented at a Post Office® counter.
  • payandisplay
    Options
    I sometimes post prohibited items. I just lie!
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, Hermes will let you send perfumes...although they're far from ideal.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks chaps, I did check the post office website for prohibited items before posting but, weirdly, they just said all perfume or aftershave, except for perfumed lotions. Following your link above gave me more, including the quantities allowed. Whether the jobsworths at my local branch will agree is another matter. Sadly they are often wrong.
    It definitely isn't going abroad so at least that's okay.
    Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated x

UK - Allowed in the mail, see restrictions and packaging guidelines below:
    Volume per item must not exceed 150ml.
    No more than four items in any one parcel.
    Must be sent in its original retail packaging, placed in strong outer packaging and cushioned to prevent breakage.
    An ID8000 label must be applied (see example ID8000 label).
    The sender's name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.
    These items must be presented at a Post Office® counter.

I have never had a problem at a PO so hopefully you will be okay. I just ask them for the "perfume sticker" cause I can never remember the official name and confirm it's in the original packaging and under the allowed amount.
  • in_the_Cotswolds
    Options
    I've delivered perfumes and aftershave sent by Boots, Superdrug etc. If they can post it I'm sure you can.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,257 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've delivered perfumes and aftershave sent by Boots, Superdrug etc. If they can post it I'm sure you can.

as above, a company can make arrangements with a courier for safe carriage of stated goods that an individual can't. Just because a global company can send something, doesn't mean we all can.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Options
    It is permitted for a non-business customer to send aftershave via Royal Mail, you just need to adhere to their terms and conditions.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure