TV connected to broadband, can't get my head round this

Options
How would I benefit from connecting my humax recorder to my router using the ethernet cable?.

I assume I would use the remote control like a mouse and surf via the TV.?.can't think of any other reason.

Just reading the newly installed humax hdr box and it states "connect to your broadband"

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    No you dont surf the net using the remote control. You use the unternet to access programmes/films from various streaming services eg BBC iplayer and similar from ITV, C4 et al, netflix.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Humax HDR does not have a web browser. RTM for what it can do.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Browsing on a tv is a PITA, but you may find the humax box could make use of other 'net options, like streaming, etc.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    is it not a smart box with apps on it. You tube, bbc iplayer, netflix etc??
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ballyblack wrote: »
    is it not a smart box with apps on it. You tube, bbc iplayer, netflix etc??

Unsure is a quick answer. Only had it a couple of hours, experimenting with basics still.

Just recorded something and watched it, but as yet, don't know which is a delete button so ff through till the onscreen gave the option to delete.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    edited 21 January 2019 at 5:09PM
    Options
    What's the model number?

If it's a reasonably new one then it will almost certainly have on-demand TV and stuff like YouTube and maybe Netflix built-in.

It may even be one of their YouView / Freeview+ or Freeview Play compliant models, which means that if it is connected to the internet you can scroll backwards in the EPG and find a TV program that's already been shown and launch that show from the catch-up TV service directly. (You can also use it to view a show that's going to come on later, if it's a repeat that has the original showing available online.)

And yes, there are apps that you can use as a remote controller. Also, going a little more advanced, you can set it up as a FTP server to upload video/music/photo on to it, if you so desire.

Aside from that, connecting to the internet lets it download the latest software if there are any bugs, but fixing bugs isn't a strong point of Humax.

EDIT: Oh, and on one model (FVP-5000) there is an app to let you watch your recordings or stream live TV off it. (And when streaming live TV, you can watch something else than is on the TV box at the time provided the 3rd tuner isn't being used to record anything.)
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Before I attempt to follow that last post, no TV!

I didn't mention that when this was fitted am, we decided to put aside our "One for All" control, and on the advice of the engineer, use the TV control for switching on/off and volume and the Humax control for everything else.

I absentmindedly forgot and pressed a wrong button which lead to trying to reverse my actions which lead to nowhere. Switched off and here we sit like two lemons. Tomorrow will get the engineer back and might go back to one control.
  • bob_a_builder
    Options
    Again depending on the exact Human model, some of their remotes allow you to control both TV and Humax, and in some cases DVD and Audio equip just like a one 4 all
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Did it not come with any instructions?.....All this is basic use.
    Connect to router and TV. View channels via the box input and just use the Humax remote. There should be no need for you to ever use your TV remote again. You view TV and recordings all through the same input.

The ethernet connection will supply you with Catch up TV, Netflix (If you subscribe), YouTube etc.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »
    Did it not come with any instructions?.....All this is basic use.
    Connect to router and TV. View channels via the box input and just use the Humax remote. There should be no need for you to ever use your TV remote again. You view TV and recordings all through the same input.

The ethernet connection will supply you with Catch up TV, Netflix (If you subscribe), YouTube etc.

^^^ This all day long.

@islandman, think of your Smart TV as being purely a screen and pair of speakers now with no other abilities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure