Homeless with an IVA

STMc
STMc Posts: 10 Forumite
edited 16 January 2019 at 2:17PM in IVA & DRO
Hi
I am posting about a friends situation, I want to support her in the best way I can and am asking for some guidance please. Summary: single female, currently working full time but at risk of losing job because of sickness absences (due to stress and anxiety). Declared a IVA from June last year, housesitting for a friend paying £400 a month towards bills for about 18 months-this is informal and with no tenancy agreement. Managing on a monthly hand to mouth existence with no collateral behind her.

Been advised yesterday she has 8 weeks to move out as house is to be put onto the market.

She had previous to the IVA approached the local (district) council re housing to no avail and its fair to say that her anxiety has increased to a suicidal level.

What steps should I walk alongside her to try to get her some sort of housing ( aware she has no deposit or security, her credit rating will be compromised plus she is at significant risk of losing her employment).

Thank you in anticipation

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Hi - this is primarily a housing/homelessness question so other boards may be more appropriate, and Shelter may be the charity she requires help from.

The council has a duty to house those who are homeless and in priority need. To establish the latter she will need some verified medical condition, physical or mental or both.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/legal/homelessness_applications/priority_need/who_has_a_priority_need

Regarding the debts I'm at a loss to see why a homeless person would have an IVA as a recommended strategy, and wonder who set that up.
  • I am afraid I can't offer advice on the home aspect, however fatbally has given some great advice above.

However in regards to the IVA I suggest she contacts them IMMEDIATELY and makes them aware of the situation. Does she have anything in writing she can provide to prove that she will have to move in 8 weeks?

It is possible to have payment breaks on an IVA, which are added on to the end, for unexpected circumstances. You friend could ask the IP for a couple of months payment break to allow her to build money for a deposit to rent somewhere. Her income and expenditure would have to be fully reassessed when she moves and the affordability of the IVA considered.

I think the bigger issue is going to be affordability in a rented place. As she is currently only paying £400 per month for her rent and bills, and this will be substantially more if living alone. I would recommend looking at renting a room somewhere / house share. This is all presuming she is able to keep her job.

As a side, has she thought about bankruptcy? If she has no home, no assets, no disposable income this may be the best option for her.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure