CCTV in the home.

Options

Comments

• arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    so l connect from the internet hub to cctv camera .. what cable would l need for connecting..
    When this is done will it connect to a mobile phone .
    Any suggestions of cctv camera which will be ok for this that’s not to expensive..
    Ok, it's not always that straight forward.
    It mainly depends on the camera, but generally speaking you connect the camera to the router (with a network cable) or wireless (you need to set up the connection following the manual).
    Then, the majority of home cameras have their own sowftware/app that you will need to download on your phone, enter some details (like the camera serial number and password), and sometimes also register an account with them.
    Now, what happens is that your camera connects to the manufacturer's servers somewhere in the world and, with your phone, you connect to their servers to see your own camera.
    It's not 100% secure, since your camera will be connected to someone else's servers, but it's the easiest way to set up.

The alternative would be to have your own DVR/NVR to record and then connect directly to that device, rather than going through the manufacturer's servers, but that's something that it's even more complicated if you are not familiar with all this.
  • CardinalWolsey
    Options
    I recommend you take a look at Alfred. This turns a mobile phone in to a webcam, and can use the mobile network for data rather than you having to install broadband. It can be set up to only broadcast on demand, so shouldn't consume vast amounts of data (i.e. minimal amount in maintain mode, more when you are remotely viewing). Also has two-way chat, which may be useful in your scenario.

To implement - all you would need is a mobile phone (e.g. old or lower spec android phone), a power source (e.g. mobile charger and USB cable), and a SIM with data.

This is probably the easiest scenario to implement, but you would need to compare data costs for mobile versus wired: it _might_ be more cost effective to install / pay for broadband, and connect an IP camera OR a phone and this app via wifi.
  • stingray_316
    Options
    The last thread mentioned Alfred , l had a look and seen there is also a app similar callled manything that uses your phone as a viewer and the other as a camera.
    Anyone used any off these apps , l would like you thoughts on these if you have and which of the two would be best to use.
    Any good and bad points on the apps..
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    ballyblack wrote: »
    you need a good/fast internet connection to view live

You really don't. The one I got from Amazon was about £30. Streamed 720p in very good colour and I was able to watch it from my HSDPA connection on my phone.
  • womble12345
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    You really don't. The one I got from Amazon was about £30. Streamed 720p in very good colour and I was able to watch it from my HSDPA connection on my phone.

I believe ballyblack meant upload speed at the location of the camera.
  • arciere
    Options
    HSDPA can reach up to 14 Mbps, which is still faster than an average ADSL connection.
    It also depends on WHAT you are streaming: motionless videos take much less bandwidth than videos with movement.
    EDIT: of course, as womble12345 has pointed out, what matters is upload speed at the location.
  • Stoke
    Options
    arciere wrote: »
    HSDPA can reach up to 14 Mbps, which is still faster than an average ADSL connection.
    It also depends on WHAT you are streaming: motionless videos take much less bandwidth than videos with movement.
    EDIT: of course, as womble12345 has pointed out, what matters is upload speed at the location.

It is indeed faster, but I reckon an ADSL connection could have handled it no problem.

If they were talking about upload speed? That's a different story and yes, you need a decent upload speed. Forget what mine is, but I'm on fibre anyway.
  • arciere
    Options
    It is indeed faster, but I reckon an ADSL connection could have handled it no problem.

If they were talking about upload speed? That's a different story and yes, you need a decent upload speed. Forget what mine is, but I'm on fibre anyway.
    Yes, the issue is that OP doesn't have any internet connection at the moment, it was pointed out that video streaming requires a lot of bandwidth, something that a simple ADSL connection almost never has (upload speed)
  • Stoke
    Options
    arciere wrote: »
    Yes, the issue is that OP doesn't have any internet connection at the moment, it was pointed out that video streaming requires a lot of bandwidth, something that a simple ADSL connection almost never has (upload speed)
    I seem to think I used to get about 2MB on ADSL. This was back when I used to do ShoutCast stuff.

Good times..... :( Feels a long time ago now.
  • stingray_316
    Options
    EZVIZ Mini O Plus 135° Full HD 1080p Indoor WiFi Camera..
    Seen this camera and thought about getting it , you have to download an app to view on your mobile phone.
    Only thing is it looks like it only works for your phone as you register details on the app you downloaded.
    I wanted others to view the camera on there mobile phones .
    Is this possible.
    If so how can l get this done...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family