£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 September 2018 at 3:14PM
    Options
    We are looking to replace DH's commuting car when he retires next summer. I am currently looking at an electric car with £0 Vehicle excise duty (road fund tax) and that I can charge from a few solar panels on my garage roof.

I do also want a couple of solar panels so I can heat the growing-tunnel I am planning to grow lots of my own (beyond our current allotment sized veg garden).
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    I would love electric car and solar panels... for now with house renovations first just out of reach... for now :D
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Treadingonplaymobil Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 September 2018 at 5:22AM
    Options
    Week 83: Day 7

Just popping in for a quick end-of-the-weekend update! DC1 loved his party, and it was mega cheap, only £24 for the night's camping, plus £6 on fish and chips for DC3 and me when we went home and left the boys to it. Really lovely weekend, and lovely to be less busy.

Have managed to keep my list for the coming week as minimal as possible, as DC3 is still on part time hours - only one more week though, then she'll be up to full time, for which I cannot wait. Had a really good chat with my life coaching buddy and am feeling a bit clearer about keeping my tasks more manageable.

Moneyfordreams I used to not do lists. It wasn't pretty. Honestly, I am naturally so scatty, that really essential stuff like laundry and food prep just doesn't happen if I don't schedule it out. And the house ends up in a total pigsty and I end up even more stressed and pulling all nighters to get things done that didn't get done because I got totally immersed in a creative project. Not a good way to live with three DC.

Minor interesting news with DH's work - there is some prospect of a promotion/pay rise, but with it more of a travelling commitment too, so effectively the pay rise needs to be good enough to stop me needing to earn nearly as much, as it would make life much harder for me.

The weekly 1hr family clean continues to be a big success, and does really make the house much nicer. We almost ran out of stuff to do this week!

To do this week
    1. Sort the car!!!
    2. Phone the potential extension drawing chap who replied to my enquiry email last week.
    3. Find at least one other extension drawing person to get a quote from.

4. Chase first builder for a quote.
    5. DH to phone another builder for a quote. This isn't going to happen until next week as DH is so busy at work.
    6. Contract work for next week.
    7. Contract work for the following week.
    8. Make cake etc for DC1 birthday party.
    9. Stick to social media schedule for work.
    10. Pack orders for smaller business.
    11. Make some packed lunch supplies - quiche, savoury muffins etc.

12. Piece of work for client A.
    13. Piece of work for client B.
    14. Life coaching check in.
    15. Swim club subs.
    16. Snack subs for DC3.
    17. Clear the ironing mountain.
    18. Order trainers and another pair of school trousers for DC2 (why do they keep growing?!). Have found a pair of DC1's old trousers that will do, so just trainers needed.
    19. Top up fruit and veg shop.
    20. Contemplate the upside of the house/car/work stress, which has meant losing 2lb over the past week. If I can keep the stress levels up my 'how do I lose weight?' crisis may be averted :rotfl: . :rotfl:

September money goals:
    - £10.68/30 September rounding down pot.
    - £3,766.98/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
    - £664/864 income needed for October.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 84: Day 1

Morning! Here I am, twice in 12 hours :D . It would just be wrong not to do a 'new week, hurrah' post, right?

I have a third potential replacement architect coming round for a chat today, and when he's quoted we'll be able to make a decision on which one to go with and I can take a break from thinking about the extension for a few days - until I need to find a structural engineer, at least! I'm fairly sure I've decided which of the architect replacements to go for, but I feel I ought to get a quote from today's guy just in case.

DH has loads of travelling coming up (at the moment he is essentially acting up into the role his work want to promote him into), so it's going to be a tough few weeks in terms of DC logistics. Luckily he is able to keep claiming overtime, so I am trying not to stress too much about my income sliding during these times. Obviously I don't want to stop earning completely, but with DC3 only in school for three hours a day and DH not here in the evenings more often than not, it's just physically not possible for me to keep earning at a decent rate.

Astonishingly, the budget is actually on track this month - we haven't really overspent on anything. I'm going to need to buy a little bit more food before we're into next week's segment of the food kitty, but hopefully that will even out, as I still have £270 left in the food budget for only a fortnight left in the month.

In the face of DC3's ongoing part time hours I've tried really hard to be realistic about my list for this week and keep it only to the things that, barring major disasters, I should be able to achieve. I am loving the online food shopping delivery and am definitely going to keep doing it fortnightly once the discount codes run out with top up fruit and veg shops every week (I don't get fruit and veg or meat from the supermarket as they all come in plastic when you get them delivered). It means that I have time for the 'nice' bit of the shop (topping up the plastic free stuff in town), and the boring bit just shows up without me making much effort.

To do this week
    1. Make a decision on architect replacement.
    2. Batch cook bolognese.
    3. Batch cook macaroni cheese.
    4. Send birthday cards to three relatives.
    5. Order trainers for DC2.
    6. Top up fruit and veg shop.
    7. Clean house for relatives visiting this weekend.
    8. Three social media posts.
    9. Contract work for next week.
    10. DH chase builder and phone another builder for a quote.

September money goals:
    - £13.85/30 September rounding down pot.
    - £664/864 income for October.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 84: Day 3

Morning! Halfway through the week with my minimal to do list, and although it's frustrating not getting loads and loads of stuff done, it's lovely not to be so stressed every single day with not completing my list.

I really liked the architect who came round on Monday - he is the new front runner, but I need to wait for his quote to come in before I decide for definite. Fingers crossed.

DC3 is doing so well at school, but is exhausted in the evenings - I can see that she really would have struggled going straight to full time, so although it's annoying I'm a bit less irritated about the interminable part time hours.

I went for a walk yesterday and found an amazing community orchard that someone mentioned in passing to me years ago. Absolutely laden, and largely un-picked, apples falling and rotting. I picked a handful of apples and am going to go back today for some more - I've been wanting to make some apple chutney and it always seems a waste to use my mum's delicious eating apples for it, so I'm going to use some of the ones from the orchard. Might prep and freeze some apples for crumble too. There are a couple that are clearly really late cropping too, so hopefully they will keep coming for a while.

The budget continues to be vaguely on track. It's been a bit of a drip drip of food spends this week, and a food shop over the weekend I'd forgotten to input which cleared yesterday so that budget hasn't gone as well as expected, but there's still plenty to get through till the end of the month as long as we're not totally frivolous. The freezer is still pretty full too. Need to get a big lamb shoulder or something for the weekend which will use up a chunk of next week's pot.

I sorted out my clothes yesterday. Now that I understand my previous ridiculous skincare/make up spending, as discussed at length a few weeks ago, I understand why, despite spending a lot in my 'clothes/skincare/makeup/haircare' pot, I perpetually have no clothes. I have clamped down big time on the skincare spending - I filled an online basket of stuff I 'needed' a week or two ago, then emptied it all bar the moisturiser that I actually needed to get to replace a virtually empty one - I could easily have spent £200+ if I hadn't talked myself down. And the old moisturiser is still limping on, so I haven't even needed to open the new one yet. Anyway, the clothes. I boxed up everything that was holey/really worn out/too small (I am a stone heavier than I was a year ago, and although I'm trying to lose it, I still barely fit into anything) and I am down to a truly ridiculous 24 items of clothing in total excluding sportswear and coats. By some miracle I've actually got my personal spends kitty still available this month, so I'm going to try to buy a new pair of jeans today, which should open up lots of outfit options (I don't actually have a pair of jeans that fit :eek: ). It's much harder trying to work out what to spend my money on now that my clothes budget is fixed rather than just an endless 10% of income, but it's definitely making me think a lot harder about what to spend it on. It's actually practicing what I preach to my clients too, which is a really good exercise for me professionally too.

It did make me smile that I had so few clothes though - I read a lot online about Project 333 which is a popular minimalist exercise, and I don't actually currently own enough clothes to do it! If I've got even fewer clothes than the minimalists think is reasonable, I can see why I'm struggling to feel interesting :rotfl: .

Right, up and at 'em

To do this week
    1. Make a decision on architect replacement. Waiting for one final quote.
    2. Batch cook bolognese sauce. Haven't done this yet as had so many leftovers in the fridge and freezer to use up.
    3. Batch cook macaroni cheese. Ditto.
    8. Three social media posts.
    9. Contract work for next week.

September money goals:
    - £15.27/30 September rounding down pot.
  • WelshKitty85
    Options
    We have a community orchard too. It's such a shame that so few people know about it/make use of it. I've got a bag full of apples ready to make spiced apple chutney, but need to collect some more apples and blackberries to make some pies and crumbles.

You're doing so well and it's nice to hear you not feeling so stressed.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    We have a community orchard too. It's such a shame that so few people know about it/make use of it. I've got a bag full of apples ready to make spiced apple chutney, but need to collect some more apples and blackberries to make some pies and crumbles.

You're doing so well and it's nice to hear you not feeling so stressed.
    It's nice not to be so stressed! I'm not 100% sure where money is going to keep coming from, but I'm trying to keep the faith - I know my contract work invoice at the end of this month will cover October, plus we have a big chunk from DH's overtime coming (around £500 I think). At the end of the day if we need to revisit the budget to keep me (us, really - DH has to pick up the slack when I get overwhelmed) mentally sound, that's what we have to do.
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    I just want to say that you provide me with so much entertainment every morning because I always sit on the train on my morning commute trying to guess what it is that you do based on the hints you've given here and there :rotfl:
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • hugglemonster
    Options
    DC1's birthday sounded fab, my kids love camping!

Your mentioning about your clothes had me thinking about mine, I don't think I own 24 items of 'normal' clothes, I have tons of sports kit as it's my job but on a day that I want to look a bit different I struggle. Perhaps Santa will be kind this year.

Good luck for getting the right architect for your family this time, must have been really frustrating.

H x
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 84: Day 5

Morning team! There is a team, right? I'm not here by myself at 5:30am? :rotfl:

Had a long chat with DH last night and we've decided to go for the architectural technician/technologist who quoted last week rather than Monday's architect (barring a couple of points that need checking, but assuming they are fine). The technician was cheaper overall, and his hourly rate is lower (and he isn't VAT registered) so any additional work he needs to do will be cheaper too. I also got the impression he was very straightforward and would just get the work done which will be nice after the drama with the previous chap. The architects would be great if we wanted to explore more design options, but actually we've got a design - yes there might be a few minor improvements to be made, but we could keep chucking money at this design phase indefinitely, and at the end of the day we're talking about a £200k house, not a £1m mansion.

The builder we really like has also promised to submit a quote by Monday, which will give us a baseline to start working from, which I'm really excited about - will be so good to have more information to work with.

In more MS news, I went back to the community orchard yesterday and filled another bag, having already used up the apples I picked the other day! I'm going to turn this lot into crumble, chutney and frozen portions of stewed apple (we go through stewed apple at a rate of knots in the winter - the DCs have it most mornings with yoghurt or in baked oatmeal). I'm aiming to do similar once or twice more this year and really get as much as I can in the freezer.

I also had a massive charity shop win yesterday. I have said before here that I never bother with them because I hardly ever find something, and the time isn't worth it. Well, I need a couple of pots to plant hyacinths/narcissi in for Christmas, so I decided to commit a little time each week to browsing charity shops for the rest of the month in the hope of finding a good pot or three, and yesterday, on only my second browsing session, I found a great table centrepiece china pot for narcissi AND a 100% cotton checked shirt AND a 100% wool Jigsaw dress in perfect condition. I was so pleased with myself - they aren't 'this'll do' type pieces, I genuinely really like them. So giving myself more time during the week has actually, for once, actually paid off in terms of money saved. I have been so desperate for new clothes since my big wardrobe sort out the other day (well, since before that, but that made it clear why I needed new stuff!), and I feel like I have had a bit of a wardrobe refresh with really good quality stuff, for only £20.

Other clothes news - I emailed to complain about a work dress I bought in July that has split at the seam. I can mend it but am annoyed that it split after only maybe six wears, and after a bit of an attempt to fob me off with a partial refund, they gave me a full refund and let me keep the dress. So I was able to also buy new jeans yesterday for 'free' with the refunded money. So I've basically doubled my clothing options since Monday, for a tiny outlay.

More spendily, I've spent some of my business account savings on some stock for the new way I want my business to move. It's a wrench to actually invest any money in it (we're talking <£250 here, not millions) as I hate taking any financial risk in my business (totally unlike my general spending habits!), but I've got to give it a go to see whether it's a realistic prospect for me to develop. It feels good to be moving forward with something that will move me away from my last bit of client facing work, which long term readers will know is a big goal for me.

Debt busting news - I'm on the countdown to the end of the month now, as I always am by about this stage. We're within a couple of hundred pounds of the next thousand barrier on the CC debts, so I'm looking forward to getting to the 1st and paying a chunk off - we'll be under the £12k barrier with the CC debt in October, which is amazing (still the parental loan and the loan consolidated into the mortgage outstanding, lest anything think we've paid £50k off our debt recently :rotfl: ). I'm pleased with the way the debt is trickling down. While it's not disappearing at an amazing rate, I'm just happy each month to see that the number is lower than the previous month. Our budget pots are looking ok, despite me indulging in buying flowers the other day :o and DH having a missing £30 in his expenses claim (presumably a receipt that got lost in transit somewhere :mad: ). I knew this would happen with such a big claim, he is too scatty to build up big deficits like he did recently. He can submit online and scan receipts on his phone, so I'm going to ask him to submit more or less daily while away in future so this sort of thing doesn't happen again.

On the subject of finances, I think we should probably take a moment here to also celebrate the fact that my car hasn't broken down for almost two weeks now :rotfl: .

Right, I'm off to do a little knitting before the DCs wake up - I am loving these little pockets of free time I'm getting with the smaller to do lists. I really really must make sure I keep this up. I'm still not sure what the financial implications of pushing myself less hard will be long term, but the benefits for us as a family and me individually of me being less frazzled and stressed are huge.

To do this week
    1. Make a decision on architect replacement.
    2. Batch cook bolognese sauce. Haven't done this yet as had so many leftovers in the fridge and freezer to use up.
    3. Batch cook macaroni cheese. Ditto.
    8. Three social media posts. Two down, one to go!
    9. Contract work for next week. Last few minutes needed to finish off this morning.

September money goals:
    - £17.17/30 September rounding down pot.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback