Beware Eon switch

Options
2»

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »
    With some quick and dirty calcs, I figure it will cost me £3.40 if they switch me from V1 to V18 today instead of in 3 weeks when my V1 expires. Less than the £25 I'll be getting from MSE so :money:.

Still, I might try and be cheeky and ask if the switch can be deferred. I know nothing can be done after the fact, but couldn't hurt to try beforehand.
    Raxiel wrote: »
    Well, I gave it a go, and as Sosumi stated, its not possible, even if you ask before its processed.

Speaking of Sosumi, wish i'd known about the Energy Helpline/Topcashback route yesterday! But never mind eh?

It occurs to me I need to get some meter readings submitted today, so E.ON don't have to estimate the consumption at the point the rates change...

Sorry Raxiel, I'd gone before you posted this yesterday. I could've saved you a phone call as Sosumi is spot on. Forward switches aren't available when changing tariff through a Price Comparison site.

Thanks for taking meter readings. As you know, this is the best way to keep things accurate.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    Sosumi wrote: »
    Unless things have changed recently at E.ON, that information is incorrect (and, as such, is misleading rather than helpful), in regard to E.ON, Smodlet. :(

An existing E.ON customer can, when changing to a different E.ON tariff that is being offered directly by E.ON (for example, on the E.ON website) specify a date up to 52 days in advance upon which he or she wishes his or her new tariff to commence.

This extremely handy benefit doesn’t, however, extend to E.ON tariffs offered only on Price Comparison Websites and unavailable directly from E.ON itself.

An existing E.ON customer who opts to move to another E.ON tariff offered only on a Price Comparison Website will find that the new tariff. when it is forwarded to E.ON for processing, will be backdated automatically to the day on which the customer applied for it on the Price Comparison Website, with no option to “forward fix” it.

So far as I am aware, the last twelve-month “Go Online” tariff fix to have been offered directly by E.ON was v11, in March of this year.

As an existing E.ON customer, I was able to “forward fix” to it by 52 days as part of the online procedure when logged in to my account at the E.ON’ website.

My new tariff duly took effect automatically and smoothly on my designated date in mid May and will end in May 2019.

If and when one is able to deploy this tactic it’a a good idea to submit meter readings (online) on the appointed day, to keep the billing simple.

E.ON appears to have altered its marketing strategy since then and all “Go Online” tariffs subsequent to v11 (last March) have been offered only on Price Comparison Websites.

I’m sure that :A Malc :A or :A Helena :A at E.ON will correct me if any of the above is wrong!

If you do decide to go for one of them on a Price Comparison Website, it’s worth remembering that if you route it to Energy Helpline via Top Cashback you get a £30.30 cashback instead of a measly £25, or whatever, from the “Cheap” Energy Club.

More to the point, Energy Helpline gives you a proper geographical address and telephone number so you can contact them directly if anything goes awry in the transaction, whereas the “Cheap” Energy Club gives you only an email address and nothing more: they seem to be anally retentive about revealing where they are and totally paranoid about the idea of actually speaking to anybody. Best avoided. :(

Spot on Sosumi. Absolutely nothing to correct. :T

As you say, forward switches aren't available when changing from one of our tariffs to another through a Price Comparison site. Tariff changes done through these sites start from the date the customer puts the request through.

You're right, too, about version 11 being the last Go Online tariff available directly from us. All later versions of Go Online have only been available through Price Comparison sites.

Great advice Sosumi. Many thanks for posting. :)

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Sosumi
    Sosumi Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options

Spot on Sosumi. Absolutely nothing to correct. :T

As you say, forward switches aren't available when changing from one of our tariffs to another through a Price Comparison site. Tariff changes done through these sites start from the date the customer puts the request through.

You're right, too, about version 11 being the last Go Online tariff available directly from us. All later versions of Go Online have only been available through Price Comparison sites.

Great advice Sosumi. Many thanks for posting. :)

Malc

Noblesse oblige.:grinheart

Very glad to see you back in action again, Malc, and hope your health is recovering reassuringly. You were greatly missed.

I haven't been around here for a while.

Having surrendered the famous v19 of January 2016 in favour of the 2-year fix of June that year, a couple of days after the European Referendum (the result of which was clearly not what E.ON was expecting) I have spent the last eighteen months or so watching developments (and tariffs) silently and inexpensively from the distant sidelines.

From what took place, it looked from afar as though the mad marketing team at E.ON had then managed to put joints into the boardroom cigar box and take over the running of the company. They certainly came up with some seriously wacky ideas. At one stage I thought I was going to have to “Spin the Wheel” to see what tariff E.ON was minded to offer me next. Then they abandoned offering collective fixes on Price Comparison Websites and now these seem to be back in favour.

Rather than risk running out of fix in July this year, I decided to opt for “Go Online” v11 while it was still on offer in March and forward-fix it to commence in mid-May. That way I lost only the final seven weeks of my 2-Year fix but secured a good tariff to see our household cheaply through next winter and early Spring. Four months into that fix it’s become cheaper than anything else on the market!

So, one way and another, I’ve been fortunate in my tariff changes during your own unfortunate absence and have managed to stay aboard the expensive E.ON ship at advantageous fares. But it wasn’t entirely luck: as with stocks and shares and commodities and foreign exchange rates, to stay ahead in the game one has to keep a close eye on the market and make carefully considered moves, at timely moments, to avoid getting boxed into a corner. Too many people fail to bother, and pay an expensive price for their lethargy.

One favour I would ask of you, Malc. Please would you communicate in your feedback to the highest level of the company just how greatly we customers value your and Helena’s ever vigilant and helpful presence on here. More important even than the tariffs is the reassuring knowledge that when E.ON’s increasingly dysfunctional computer screws something up (have the marketing loonies now moved on to the IT department?) there is a kind and knowledgeable human being on here who can, and always does, sort out the various messes that result.

No other supplier provides this so well (if even at all). It’s invaluable.and one of the major factors in making the decision to stay with E.ON. This needs to be understood and appreciated at Chief Executive and main board level (with or without the joints in the boardroom cigar box :) )

Anyway, you’ve got me sorted happily for energy until at least next May so I’ll now burger off back to the silent sidelines and leave you all in peace.

Thank you, Malc and Helena for all that you do: it’s really appreciated and Is acknowledged far too little and seldom.

Have good Christmas and New Year! :xmastree:

:santa2:
    Options
    Noblesse oblige.:grinheart

Very glad to see you back in action again, Malc, and hope your health is recovering reassuringly. You were greatly missed.

I haven't been around here for a while.

Having surrendered the famous v19 of January 2016 in favour of the 2-year fix of June that year, a couple of days after the European Referendum (the result of which was clearly not what E.ON was expecting) I have spent the last eighteen months or so watching developments (and tariffs) silently and inexpensively from the distant sidelines.

From what took place, it looked from afar as though the mad marketing team at E.ON had then managed to put joints into the boardroom cigar box and take over the running of the company. They certainly came up with some seriously wacky ideas. At one stage I thought I was going to have to “Spin the Wheel” to see what tariff E.ON was minded to offer me next. Then they abandoned offering collective fixes on Price Comparison Websites and now these seem to be back in favour.

Rather than risk running out of fix in July this year, I decided to opt for “Go Online” v11 while it was still on offer in March and forward-fix it to commence in mid-May. That way I lost only the final seven weeks of my 2-Year fix but secured a good tariff to see our household cheaply through next winter and early Spring. Four months into that fix it’s become cheaper than anything else on the market!

So, one way and another, I’ve been fortunate in my tariff changes during your own unfortunate absence and have managed to stay aboard the expensive E.ON ship at advantageous fares. But it wasn’t entirely luck: as with stocks and shares and commodities and foreign exchange rates, to stay ahead in the game one has to keep a close eye on the market and make carefully considered moves, at timely moments, to avoid getting boxed into a corner. Too many people fail to bother, and pay an expensive price for their lethargy.

One favour I would ask of you, Malc. Please would you communicate in your feedback to the highest level of the company just how greatly we customers value your and Helena’s ever vigilant and helpful presence on here. More important even than the tariffs is the reassuring knowledge that when E.ON’s increasingly dysfunctional computer screws something up (have the marketing loonies now moved on to the IT department?) there is a kind and knowledgeable human being on here who can, and always does, sort out the various messes that result.

No other supplier provides this so well (if even at all). It’s invaluable.and one of the major factors in making the decision to stay with E.ON. This needs to be understood and appreciated at Chief Executive and main board level (with or without the joints in the boardroom cigar box :) )

Anyway, you’ve got me sorted happily for energy until at least next May so I’ll now burger off back to the silent sidelines and leave you all in peace.

Thank you, Malc and Helena for all that you do: it’s really appreciated and Is acknowledged far too little and seldom.

Have good Christmas and New Year! :xmastree:

:santa2:

Many thanks for posting this Sosumi. It's most humbling and very much appreciated by both of us.

I'm fine thanks after my mishap and surgery last winter but, I'm afraid, Helena's not too good at the moment. She's on the mend and I'm hoping she'll be back soon (next week with a bit of luck) as I miss her when she's not around.

I was saying to Helena only recently that we hadn't seen you for a while. Glad you're okay and now I understand how you've been keeping an eye on things from a distance. There have certainly been a lot of changes since we last talked. Pleased you decided to stay with us despite 'spinning the wheel' and the tariff changes. As you say, it's important to keep on top of the market and be as proactive as possible.

I'll let Helena see your kind words. I'm sure they'll cheer her up. I'll also be delighted to send them to our gaffers. :j

Many thanks again for taking the time and trouble to post this Sosumi. I hope it won't be too long before we talk more although not because something has gone awry with your account. Have a great weekend and seasonal best wishes to you too if we don't talk before. :xmastree::santa2:

Malc :)
  • fredandwilma
    Options

You missed out there, Sosumi.

I ran right to the last day of that 2 year fix and took the Go Online v14, in July.

Cheaper Gas and Electricity Unit Rates per kwh than Go Online v11 and SC's of 11.55p per day for electricity and 15.75p per day for gas, what's not to like?

I certainly haven't seen anything cheaper especially the SC's. :D

Eo.n and I are hitched for another year. :rotfl:
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    Options
    You missed out there, Sosumi.

I ran right to the last day of that 2 year fix and took the Go Online v14, in July.

Cheaper Gas and Electricity Unit Rates per kwh than Go Online v11 and SC's of 11.55p per day for electricity and 15.75p per day for gas, what's not to like?

I certainly haven't seen anything cheaper especially the SC's. :D

Eo.n and I are hitched for another year. :rotfl:

Nice one fredandwilma. Glad you're staying and that you're okay with Go Online v14.

Have a great weekend. :)

Malc
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MoneyMate wrote: »
    OP is correct I have done exactly the same changed from E.on to MSE E.on v16 strange but true £25 cash back after 3 months :beer:

Wow £25 cashback came through today :j that was quick :j
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nice one MoneyMate. Enjoy. :j

Malc
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have all the Warm Homes payments been made this year ? I was paid 5th September 2017 .
    No payment so far :beer:
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MoneyMate wrote: »
    Have all the Warm Homes payments been made this year ? I was paid 5th September 2017 .
    No payment so far :beer:

Hello MoneyMate.

The Warm Home Discount payment you received last September would've been for the 2017/18 scheme. We've not started paying eligible customers for the latest 2018/19 scheme yet.

We're still taking applications for the 2018/19 Broader Group and will look to pay all those who qualify by 31 March 19 at the latest.

Broader Group applications are dealt with on a first come, first served basis. If you haven't already, I'd apply now and you can do this online through our website. There are more details on our website too.

This year's scheme was delayed as we, like all suppliers, had to wait for the Government to confirm certain details.

Hope this explains MoneyMate. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure