Paypal fees on debit card payments?

Options
There's a BIN item I'd like to buy on ebay & what I'm unsure of when I get to checkout is, if I elect to pay via debit card rather than paypal, will seller still have to pay paypal fees?

This is a local collection only item so was intending to pay cash on collection, which is better for the seller because of fees, but didn't realise that instant payment was required by clicking BIN & happy to pay via debit card if it will mean no paypal fees have to be paid.
The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,425 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 December 2019 at 6:58PM
    Options
    They'll have to pay eBay fees but as PayPal is not involved then no PayPal fees :)

Edit: nope, that's wrong, please see soolin's post below.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I disagree with spoonie turtle in that I believe The debit card will almost certainly go via paypal as it is rare for a seller to be able to set up a merchant payment system on an Immediate payment required- it really can only go via paypal, so yes the seller will pay fees. Even if they have set up a merchant account somehow (and I've not seen anyone else manage to bypass paypal) then they will pay merchant fees.

It seems that if the seller is expecting collection only then they are not fully aware of the issues of going for immediate payment required - but as an honest buyer that shouldn't be your concern.

With the new rules you can't even risk warning the seller as any attempt after that to sell might be seen as a fee avoidance issue and get you both a warning.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks soolin, you so often come up with the answer to queries here!

I've got around the problem of having to pay straight away by sending the seller an offer of 1p less than BIN price, which secures the item for me & enables me to pay on collection.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cattie wrote: »
    Thanks soolin, you so often come up with the answer to queries here!

I've got around the problem of having to pay straight away by sending the seller an offer of 1p less than BIN price, which secures the item for me & enables me to pay on collection.

That's a good work round .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Oh wow, I didn't realise that! Thanks for explaining that soolin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure