My “Credit Score” dropped for this reason...

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
edited 14 October 2019 at 9:50PM in Credit file & ratings
According to Credit Monitor, it dropped 18 points because:

Your score has dropped because you're using more of your credit compared to three months ago. This could signal to lenders that you may struggle to make repayments.

Despite me paying my cards back in full every month and the payment statuses showing as such.

What a load of tripe... :money:

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Agreed.

So they are suggesting that in order to improve the credit score you should use the cards less. The issuers of the cards surely won't approve of that suggestion.-
  • Ben8282
    edited 14 October 2019 at 9:05PM
    Options
    Your post has started me thinking about the way that different lenders report the 'balances' which are used for the utilisation % calculation and the manner in which by using a different card the amount of these balances can be varied considerably, which is not something that I have previously seen discussed on these boards.
    For clarfication, my comments are based on the information contained in my Experian credit files viewed in a printable PDF fabular format devoid of green ticks, commentary and advertising.

The report will show:
    Status number
    Balance
    Payment amount
    Previous balance
    Promotional rate indicator

The figure used to determine the utilisation % is the balance figure.

leaving aside the strange reporting practices of TSB since their problems last year which I will mention later, the balance figure is the actual balance of the account on the day of the month that the lender happens to report to the CRA. The previous balance is the balance of the previous statemnt (2 months behind the balance figure) and the payment amount is the payment made against the previous balance shown. Where a card is repaid in full the previous balance and the payment amount should be the same.

Now lender A happens to report on what would appear to be the day before payment for that month is due. As this figure is reported each month immediately prior to the full balance direct debit being taken, the reported balance for that month, assuming a constant spend throughout the month, would be about 175% of the average statement balance. Now I am guessing that I just have an unfortunate billing (statement) and payment due date in relation to the day of the month that that lender reports and that, if I were so inclined, this could be eliminated to some extent by a change of statement date. Obviously these ;balances' bear no relation to the previous balance (statement blance) andf payment figure subsequently reported for that period.

Lender B however happens to report on what would appear to be the day before the statrement is produced so that the 'balance' is very close to the actual statement balance which will subsequently appear two months later as the previous balance, completelty eliminating the double balance reporting of lender A.

It will therefore be apparent that by using the ard isued by lender B as opposed to the card issued by lender A, the reported balance and thus the utilisation % will be substantially reduced.

I also mentioned TSB whose reporting is very odd and unlike anything previously encountered. They don't appear to report a statement balance at all. They report a balance in month 1 which is the balance on the day they report which then becomes the previous balance in month 2 and then the payment is sometimes reported in month 3 but sometimes the payments are not reported at all, the impression gained being that no payment was made and the balance has dropped due to a refund or similar.

Another point worth mentioning is that I have access to my Experian credit files through my packaged bank account (which I am very happy with). My credit score is always the same and has not varied by even one point for several years and I am exposed to zero advertising by Experian..
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I assumed they reported the maximum balance and the total payments, but I really haven't looked closely at it at all.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine dropped because I switched a current account (without an overdraft facility on either of them.)
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Your post has started me thinking about the way that different lenders report the 'balances' which are used for the utilisation % calculation and the manner in which by using a different card the amount of these balances can be varied considerably, which is not something that I have previously seen discussed on these boards.
    For clarfication, my comments are based on the information contained in my Experian credit files viewed in a printable PDF fabular format devoid of green ticks, commentary and advertising.

The report will show:
    Status number
    Balance
    Payment amount
    Previous balance
    Promotional rate indicator

The figure used to determine the utilisation % is the balance figure.

leaving aside the strange reporting practices of TSB since their problems last year which I will mention later, the balance figure is the actual balance of the account on the day of the month that the lender happens to report to the CRA. The previous balance is the balance of the previous statemnt (2 months behind the balance figure) and the payment amount is the payment made against the previous balance shown. Where a card is repaid in full the previous balance and the payment amount should be the same.

Now lender A happens to report on what would appear to be the day before payment for that month is due. As this figure is reported each month immediately prior to the full balance direct debit being taken, the reported balance for that month, assuming a constant spend throughout the month, would be about 175% of the average statement balance. Now I am guessing that I just have an unfortunate billing (statement) and payment due date in relation to the day of the month that that lender reports and that, if I were so inclined, this could be eliminated to some extent by a change of statement date. Obviously these ;balances' bear no relation to the previous balance (statement blance) andf payment figure subsequently reported for that period.

Lender B however happens to report on what would appear to be the day before the statrement is produced so that the 'balance' is very close to the actual statement balance which will subsequently appear two months later as the previous balance, completelty eliminating the double balance reporting of lender A.

It will therefore be apparent that by using the ard isued by lender B as opposed to the card issued by lender A, the reported balance and thus the utilisation % will be substantially reduced.

I also mentioned TSB whose reporting is very odd and unlike anything previously encountered. They don't appear to report a statement balance at all. They report a balance in month 1 which is the balance on the day they report which then becomes the previous balance in month 2 and then the payment is sometimes reported in month 3 but sometimes the payments are not reported at all, the impression gained being that no payment was made and the balance has dropped due to a refund or similar.

Another point worth mentioning is that I have access to my Experian credit files through my packaged bank account (which I am very happy with). My credit score is always the same and has not varied by even one point for several years and I am exposed to zero advertising by Experian..

In a nutshell your two card companies report the balance at different points. One just before the due date, one just before the statement date.
  • stehouk
    stehouk Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My pretend score is up and down and up and down, doesn't stop me from switching banks or credit cards, its all baloney, they tell you how to improve your'e pretend score by not applying for to many credit cards or loans and then send you to their own eligibility checker to apply for their special products where they can make commission on referals.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I sneezed today and expect my score to drop tomorrow as a result!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    According to Credit Monitor, it dropped 18 points because:

Your score has dropped because you're using more of your credit compared to three months ago. This could signal to lenders that you may struggle to make repayments.

Despite me paying my cards back in full every month and the payment statuses showing as such.

What a load of tripe... :money:

:rotfl:

According to Totally Money I'm with you on the naughty step for daring to use more than 25% of my credit card's limit.

Totally_Money_Credit_Utilisation.png

Back in the real world I find card providers usually increase my limit if I spend more than 50% of it.
  • Ben8282
    Options
    I always thought that utilisation % was based on overall % not on a single credit card.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    I always thought that utilisation % was based on overall % not on a single credit card.
    Two types of utilisations, one for each card plus the overall. So your daily use card that is paid off in full should have a higher limit that your others if possible
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure