Choice of intelligent switches ?

Options
Choice of Immersion Switches

Tempted to go for the Intelligent Solar Immersion Heater Switch – Mark II @ £233 delivered for self install.

but noticed the Immersun, twice the price.

http://www.immersun.co.uk/

I have already changed immersion to a 1kw element, so think ISIHS Mark II is the one I will go for.

http://solarimmersionheaterswitch.co.uk/shop/solar-pv-immersion-heater-switch/intelligent-solar-immersion-heater-switch-mark-ii/?gclid=CMvZtdS-kLICFcfKtAodCGkAgg

Thoughts ??

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The payback claims are IMO just a joke.
    Typical payback in less than 2 years.

Potential savings on about £100 on gas based & about £220 on oil based
    water heating cost per year

£100pa on gas means 2,500kWh pricing gas at 4p/kWh to allow for boiler efficiency

Oil currently is under 6p/kWh so £220 means over 3,000kWh.
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 August 2012 at 9:59AM
    Options
    hp4020 wrote: »
    Choice of Immersion Switches

Tempted to go for the Intelligent Solar Immersion Heater Switch – Mark II @ £233 delivered for self install.

but noticed the Immersun, twice the price.

http://www.immersun.co.uk/

I have already changed immersion to a 1kw element, so think ISIHS Mark II is the one I will go for.

http://solarimmersionheaterswitch.co.uk/shop/solar-pv-immersion-heater-switch/intelligent-solar-immersion-heater-switch-mark-ii/?gclid=CMvZtdS-kLICFcfKtAodCGkAgg

Thoughts ??
    Is this the same one on eBay for £199 + £4.99 del?
    Looks good, but how long is the payback time?

I'm sticking with ESE's idea until next year.
    Cost less than £25.00 if you put it together yourself.
    No mains tie-ins(1kw immersion is ideal)
    Not expecting to gain as much in the winter months compared to summer.
    Used virtually no gas(hot water) since I fitted it.
    Will update when I get my next bill.
    Many new products should be available and prices will fall.
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    The payback claims are IMO just a joke.

Don't say that! Before you know it they'll introduce a generous subsidy for each kwh diverted into the hot water tank to make them highly profitable to install (green jobs created, uk becomes world leaders in the technology etc and only an extra couple of quid on everyone's bills!).

But seriously, I'm surprised on an environmental board, no one has commented on the anti-environmental effect of converting high grade daytime energy (electricity) into low grade heat (hot water) when there are much more efficient means of creating the low grade heat (gas). Environmentally of course, surplus solar generation (that is, by definition, expensive daytime electricity) should be exported so others can use it as a high grade energy source, and save it's generation from a power station.

Of course, there are financial benefits (post initial costs) to panel owners of using solar energy for water heating, which I expect will be the most important factor (over the environmental effects) for solar panel owners.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But seriously, I'm surprised on an environmental board, no one has commented on the anti-environmental effect of converting high grade daytime energy (electricity) into low grade heat (hot water) when there are much more efficient means of creating the low grade heat (gas). Environmentally of course, surplus solar generation (that is, by definition, expensive daytime electricity) should be exported so others can use it as a high grade energy source, and save it's generation from a power station.

Actually it's come up many times over the last few months, on various threads.

Tricky to do this from memory but I'd guess the first mention was probably about 3 or 4 months back, and I believe a discussion between Roger and James (or maybe Celerity), so long ago, hard to remember.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • hp4020
    hp4020 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have tried ESE switch, but hit problems, my import meter has a light that flickers when importing, it never stays on constant, so that negated the second import/export switch.
  • hp4020
    hp4020 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ordered the Intelligent Solar Immersion Heater Switch – Mark II

Hope to get up and running this week will report back.
  • Hobbo2006
    Options
    I'm taking the plunge with the Immersun. Installation next Thursday 13th.

Main reasons were:
    Safety/Assurance of tested product and professional installation.
    Measures load as well as generation

I accept that the DIY approach can work very well. Only time will tell if/when the Immersun will pay back.

I think that it should save at least £120pa which puts the payback period at 3.5 years, but accept that this is against our current tariff. I accept that there are economy 7 tariffs that have units for much cheaper but that option threw too many other considerations into the mix about daytime usage.

I'll let you know how it goes.
    4kW PV System installed 21/2/12: Aurora Power One 3.6 Inverter
    11x 250w panels West; 5x 250 panels East.
    On course for 19.8% ROI in Year 1.
    Immersun installed 13/9/12
  • sly_dog_jonah
    Options
    Our Immersun is getting installed today. Likewise I'll be posting updates as to how it goes.
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hobbo2006 wrote: »
    I'm taking the plunge with the Immersun. Installation next Thursday 13th.

I think that it should save at least £120pa which puts the payback period at 3.5 years, but accept that this is against our current tariff. I accept that there are economy 7 tariffs that have units for much cheaper but that option threw too many other considerations into the mix about daytime usage.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Hiya Hobbo, can I ask a genuine question, and I promise I'm not stirring nor criticising. Is that £120 valuing the leccy at zero?

If you were on an export meter, how would the numbers work out at 3.2p or 4.5p? Anything that helps make PV more financially rewarding, will of course improve it's viability (to those who can fit such systems) and therefore help to speed up it's roll out and the leccy and gas/oil savings that it brings.

So I'd be very interested in your thoughts, just so I can squirrel a few more numbers away for consideration.

Thanks again.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • sly_dog_jonah
    sly_dog_jonah Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 5 September 2012 at 2:49PM
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya Hobbo, can I ask a genuine question, and I promise I'm not stirring nor criticising. Is that £120 valuing the leccy at zero?

If you were on an export meter, how would the numbers work out at 3.2p or 4.5p? Anything that helps make PV more financially rewarding, will of course improve it's viability (to those who can fit such systems) and therefore help to speed up it's roll out and the leccy and gas/oil savings that it brings.

So I'd be very interested in your thoughts, just so I can squirrel a few more numbers away for consideration.

Thanks again.

Mart.

Hi Mart,

I suspect Hobbo is guestimating the savings based on Electricity 'cost' of zero. Due to deemed export the actual amount of electricity export is irrelevant unless you either have an export meter (very uncommon for domestic installs) or have a Smart Meter which can record export (I doubt these actually exist yet other than in prototype form). Therefore for now at least it is a safe assumption to assume that the 'cost' of the electricity is indeed zero.

Our Immersun installation is done but hit a snag in that the immersion element is a dead duck, so needs replacing (along with the faff of draining the tank). As that'll need a plumber we'll probably get the tempering valve fitted at the same time to mix down the hot water to a safe temperature as it leaves the tank.

Unless Hobbo's gas is very expensive (ours is 3.7p/kWh inc VAT), his gas boiler very inefficient or he has a very large array I doubt he'd achieve savings of £120/year. Using our gas price and assuming the immersion is no more efficient than the boiler (for simplicity of calculation) he would have to dump around 3240kWh of spare electricity into his hot water tank, or just under 9kWh/day. Our 3.7kWh system has averaged 9.5kWh/day of generation over the past ~10months, so we couldn't have exported 9kWh/day unless we were only using 0.5kWh.
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure