Debt collectors

Options
Hi,

My gf had a debt collection agency send her a letter the other week (long story short she didn't change her address and a speeding fine went to old address that she didn't get etc)

So the fine was £1121 we spoke to the debt firm asking what it was for as there was no description. After a week they let us know it was 'failing to identify driver' we explained we would be going back to court to fight it and can they hold before sending bailiffs to door

They told me NO I had to pay it and they would refund it once we got the result in court.

So to save balifs coming to the door we paid the debt, went to court and was fined in court £200 rather than the £1121. The court told us we had to ring the debt firm to order a refund and then pay them the £200 direct.

I rang the debt firm who have said they will only refund £300 of my £1121 to which I explained what court said and the email from court showing that they are to fully refund me. They asked me to forward the email and they will look at it monday.

They then said there refund policy is 10 working days.

My questions are

1) how long can they legally have my money before they must return it - as court was a week ago and then 10 days wait is going to be 3 weeks. Plus they had it 2 weeks before court so I have been without money for 5 weeks now.

2) general question - how come they take the money in 2hr but take 10 working days to return it?

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 July 2019 at 6:52PM
    Options
    1) If you try to sue them to get the money back, it will take months. So 10 days is a lot quicker than that.

2) Because they can - see 1).
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Axel132132_2
    Options
    I wasnt after a just cos they can, I was after learning as to why.

Such as is it for interest, is it a standard to meet, is it time for admin to sort.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I expect it's just to allow themselves a reasonable period to process it.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would suggest 10 days is a reasonable time.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To answer 2, just because the money leaves your acount in 2 hours, doesnt mean it hits theirs at the same time. They might not receive it till 5 days later or so.

Same when you get a refund, the money may leave the retailers account, but it takes time to hit yours.

A common query when dealing with refunds, it seems weighted in favour of the retailer but in reality its not like that
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure