Nationwide Not Honouring Their Switch Offer

Options
Madmountainman
Madmountainman Posts: 10 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 9 September 2019 at 11:12AM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Hi All,
Following the recommendations on MSE for switching accounts, I was recommended by a friend, who is an existing NW customer, to switch our First Direct Joint Account over to their Flex Plus Account.
I followed all the links, filled in all the online info, all well within the 90 day limit, and our account has more than the minimum two direct debits going out of it.
It looks like we've complied with the terms and conditions set by NW, so imagine my surprise when I received an email last week saying;

We’re really pleased your friend recommended you join us. But, we’re sorry as this time your application wasn’t successful and we can’t give you £100.

This is because one or more of our terms and conditions have not been met.

The most common examples of terms and conditions not being met are:
A minimum of two existing Direct Debits on the old account must be transferred as part of the switch. Other types of automated payments, such as standing orders and recurring card payments, will not count towards this.

You must have completed a full switch using the Nationwide Current Account Switch Team to transfer an existing current account with another provider to a Nationwide FlexAccount, FlexDirect or FlexPlus current account. No other Nationwide current accounts qualify for this offer.

At no point does the email state exactly what term and condition I have failed to comply with, so i'm completely in the dark.
I then call NW Customer Service and the lady on the phone looks into the application and also can't see why we've been denied the payment for switching. I told her I really wasn't happy with this service, especially as they hadn't successfully transferred all the payments over. We only found this out when they sent us a text warning that there were insufficient funds in the account, so I had to manually change the missed payment. The Customer Service lady then had to fill out an enquiry form at her end, to which we're now awaiting a response.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with Nationwide, as i'm currently not too happy with their service and their lack on honouring a deal recommended on MSE?

Comments

• Andyjflet
    Options
    I'm sure Nationwide will sort this their CS is pretty good, give it 24 hours and call them again.
    Baby Step 6/7 - £64000 saved for emergency fund DEBT FREE !!!
    Currently Negotiating with HMRC !
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ....... their lack on honouring a deal recommended on MSE?

You should raise formal complaints with Nationwide, both about the rejection of the bonus payment, and about the incomplete switch. Keep the complaints short and factual. The fact that you heard about the offer on MSE doesn't matter and doesn't influence whether you get your bonus or not. From what you say, I guess you might get your bonus plus some compensation but without seeing what Nationwide have to say for themselves, it is impossible to be certain.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps there are reasons they can't divulge. For example your friend may have closed/transferred their account.
  • Madmountainman
    Options
    My friends account is current, as she wouldn't have been able to email me the recommend a friend link, had it not been. I'm currently waiting to hear back from NW as I have asked them for a detailed explanation as to why they've declined the payment. I also had an issue with them on the application process, where they sent an email saying the information i'd provided was insufficient, yet failed to explain what part of the application was causing an issue and also failed to provide any information and/or link to correct the issue. When I re-checked the application, it was all looking fine, with no errors highlighted. This then involved a call to their Customer Service and two visits to our local Branch to sort out. I will be taking a trip back to the Branch this Wednesday, should I not hear anything back by then.
    I asked if anyone else had a similar experience, to try and ascertain if this is a common problem or not.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As colsten says if you are not satisfied with the response you need to ask to raise a complaint.

Raising a complaint has a special meaning that will cause them to look at it properly.

Alex
  • Madmountainman
    Options
    Many thanks for the complaints link. If I get no further this week, i'll raise one.
  • Madmountainman
    Options
    Update. All sorted and faith in Nationwide restored.
  • WBCPB
    WBCPB Posts: 440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Update. All sorted and faith in Nationwide restored.

Care to elaborate and explain what the problem was,or is the compo subject to a gagging order?
    Regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport