Helping a Cat with Hyperthyroidism Gain Weight

Options
Good afternoon.

My rescue cat was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid and is now settled on the right medication with his levels in the normal range.

He has gained a little weight - 800g - over the last 7 weeks just with the medication but I'm wondering what else I could feed him to supplement his diet to help him gain weight? He is currently just under 5kg and the vet says he should be weighing approx 7kg as he's very tall.

I have another cat as well and feed either Whiskas or Go Cat dried food. I think wet food would be good for Tom as well but which one? I've researched and a high protein low carbohydrate diet would seem to be a good option. I was going to give him some sardines but fish isn't recommended from what I've read!

I am a mature student with limited finances :rotfl: so any suggestions are gratefully received as I'm now very confused.

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you feed a cat dried food only it shouldn't be Whiskas or Go Cat, these are complementary foods, if on dry food only it should be food especially made for a dry food diet.

I wouldn't give your cat with hyperthyroidism anything extra foodwise, my late cat had it and gained his weight back over time naturally, 5kg really isn't that bad considering the history, give it a bit more time.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport