PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Exchange query..

Hey all,
Got a question regarding exchange.

My solicitors are requesting original signed documents ( they are far away from me ) , post has been a nightmare and they have gone awol!

My question is; I am in touch with the vendors who want to complete ASAP. Could I not take the contract and TR1 to the vendors solicitors signed and then get the vendors to sign my contract and then for me to sign the other contract? Is this a stupid question to even ask my solicitor?
The vendors solicitors are near me so quite easy and the vendors are happy to do the above.

A lesson learned for next time, local solicitors required.

Thanks
Justin

Comments

• Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Just because you have been sent the contract/TR1 for signature and return doesn't mean you are ready to exchange. You need to send it back to your solicitor as they will want a signed copy for their file and they would only send the contract to the vendor's solicitor following exchange not before. If you send it directly to the vendor's solicitor, you are effectively agreeing to exchange before your solicitor is ready. The vendor's solicitor won't care, they want to sell.

Are there any outstanding enquiries? Have you transferred your deposit?

Your solicitor is acting for you. The vendor's solicitor is acting for the vendor. Please don't try to do their work for them, you're not helping and it sounds as though you don't understand the protocol.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    In a few words (as the forum requires more than one word): No.
  • 1) You could send your lawyer an email authorizing them to sign the contract on your behalf - so if you are in a hurry, that would be the quickest way of getting to exchange if you were otherwise ready to exchange in terms of the investigation etc.

2) TR1 is only needed at completion - and often isnt prepared until after exchange. It is best you don't give this to anyone other than your lawyer because the TR1 only gets sent to the other side, after completion. As buyer, the TR1 isnt that important in any event - but that's not the issue here
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    1) You could send your lawyer an email authorizing them to sign the contract on your behalf - so if you are in a hurry, that would be the quickest way of getting to exchange if you were otherwise ready to exchange in terms of the investigation etc.
    Could you?

I know that you can arrange for a limited POA so that a solicitor can sign the contract for you, but I always believed that setting up this POA needed you to go to the solicitors in person beforehand thus negating the possibility of this in OP's situation.

Or am I wrong?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Slithery wrote: »
    Could you?

I know that you can arrange for a limited POA so that a solicitor can sign the contract for you, but I always believed that setting up this POA needed you to go to the solicitors in person beforehand thus negating the possibility of this in OP's situation.

Or am I wrong?
    No - you're not wrong. You could not do this simply via an email.
  • G_M wrote: »
    No - you're not wrong. You could not do this simply via an email.

erm - no i am not

You can use a POA
    or a letter of authority - and an email can serve as a letter of authority

Perhaps you haven't come across this - if you are a lawyer, have a look at plc on the subject (or google it) - plc says - "If the document is structured as simple contract (rather than a deed), then it would be possible for your client to authorise you to sign the document on their behalf as their agent without the need for a power of attorney. "

A sale contract is a simple contract - whereas the TR1 obviously would need a POA .

All the best x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport