Teletext money claim

Options
2»

Comments

• jcarver007
    jcarver007 Posts: 128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And again, I repeat, how would Teletext Holidays know this if nobody told them?

I told them at the very start of the holiday. Also if you buy something that is not what was advertised surely there is some way of getting recompense?
    I would have thought that if Teletext are selling a holiday on their website they should ensure that it is as advertised.
    And lastly when I told Teletext that the Aqua Park was not open because the hotel claimed it was a quiet period, they should have acted by contacting the hotel there and then at the beginning. This they did not.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 June 2019 at 2:48PM
    Options
    jcarver007 wrote: »
    I told them at the very start of the holiday. Also if you buy something that is not what was advertised surely there is some way of getting recompense?
    I would have thought that if Teletext are selling a holiday on their website they should ensure that it is as advertised.
    And lastly when I told Teletext that the Aqua Park was not open because the hotel claimed it was a quiet period, they should have acted by contacting the hotel there and then at the beginning. This they did not.

Bit in red - no idea what you mean by this. You told who what? :mad:

I am totally confused at your timeline here (bit in orange). So you booked the holiday,got to the hotel, found the aqua park was shut, and rang Teletext whilst on your holiday? What did you expect them to do, demand the hotel open the aqua park up for you?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    has the hotel stated why they did not update all the agents that sell their accommodation that they were not open.
    Whilst it would be wonderful if you could rely on every website providing uptodate live information...that is rarely practical
    Do you expect every agent to contact every hotel they sell to check if there are any changes to the information provided? how often should they check? (monthly, weekly, daily?)
    what additional costs did you incur? how much are you claiming for? (note that in section 22 of the t&cs the compensation they will pay is very limited)
    might be worth checking on some of the many teletext holidays threads to see what you can expect (here are a few)
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5632625&highlight=teletext
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6007330&highlight=teletext
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5266021&highlight=teletext
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5949927&highlight=teletext
  • jcarver007
    Options
    Bit in red - no idea what you mean by this. You told who what? :mad:

I am totally confused at your timeline here (bit in orange). So you booked the holiday,got to the hotel, found the aqua park was shut, and rang Teletext whilst on your holiday? What did you expect them to do, demand the hotel open the aqua park up for you?

I told Teletext on the phone on the first day, that the aqua park was not open.
    I would have expected Teletext to contact the hotel to try and rectify the matter. Again my view is that Teletext have missold the holiday.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I told Teletext on the phone on the first day, that the aqua park was not open.
    I would have expected Teletext to contact the hotel to try and rectify the matter. Again my view is that Teletext have missold the holiday.

So you expected Teletext to tell the hotel to open the waterpark? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • jcarver007
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    has the hotel stated why they did not update all the agents that sell their accommodation that they were not open.
    Whilst it would be wonderful if you could rely on every website providing uptodate live information...that is rarely practical
    Do you expect every agent to contact every hotel they sell to check if there are any changes to the information provided? how often should they check? (monthly, weekly, daily?)
    what additional costs did you incur? how much are you claiming for? (note that in section 22 of the t&cs the compensation they will pay is very limited)
    might be worth checking on some of the many teletext holidays threads to see what you can expect (here are a few)
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5632625&highlight=teletext
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6007330&highlight=teletext
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5266021&highlight=teletext
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5949927&highlight=teletext

Thankyou.
    In my business if I sold a service to a client and that service did not match what was advertised then I would be refunding all or part of the booking. Then taking it up myself with the service provider.
    Surely Teletext and similar companies should have contracts with the hotels that say they have to be notified of changes.

Turning off an aqua park at a hotel advertised as a Aqua Park is a major issue in my opinion. And because it was a quiet period as the locals had finished their celebrations is a bit off.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 June 2019 at 4:50PM
    Options
    It was all inclusive - flights, hotel, food etc. So I would class that as a package holiday. Would you not?

Teletext advertised the holdiday at Eden Andalou Aqua Park with flights and all inclusive. At no stage did the advert or additional emails state that the aqua park was open subject to weather. Even if it did, the aqua park was not closed due to weather but due to the hotel considering it to be a quiet period.

Nope.

Teletext don't sell package holidays. Their customers tend to base holiday decisions on "cheap" and they add travel elements together to deliver (normally) on the cheap requirement. This however means you don't have the normal back up and recourse you might have had before or with a traditional package holiday company like Jet2 Holidays, TUI, Thomas Cook Holidays, Olympic Holidays, Virgin Holidays etc. who would be responsible for all elements of the advertised holiday.

What you booked was a combination of travel elements which falls under what is loving termed now as a "multi-contract package".
    Your complain about the seven slides lacking in the waterpark at the hotel will be palmed off by Teletext for you to fight and argue for satisfaction with the hotel/waterpark operator as either the Eden Andalou Aqua Park or another third party supplier to Teletext of the hotel, is who you had your contract agreement with.

I am sorry to say I think you are on a losing battle with your claim.
  • lea2012
    lea2012 Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Although not ideal that the aquapark was shut I don't think there's much that teletext would do and I think a trip to small claims court would end up costing you even more money as I don't think they would rule in your favour sadly.

Looking at the teletext website and various other sites it looks as though the average hotel price is around £35 per person per night in January for the Eden Andalou. Take a look at your invoice and you'll see the price breakdown and how much the hotel cost you.

As teletext say, they view the aquapark as part of the overall holiday. They list well over 50 facilities available at the hotel, but even if you only took the main ones it may still be around 20 different facilities. A court would potentially rule that you used the food, drink and room for the full duration which would make up the bulk of the cost with the rest split across the facilities. At an extreme push the water park might be worth say 50p a night per person so it's not a lot to expect back and not a lot to fight over in a small claims court.

You need to chalk this one up to experience and don't go back.
    Lea :confused:
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think this would be better moved the the consumer rights board
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    lea2012 wrote: »
    Although not ideal that the aquapark was shut I don't think there's much that teletext would do and I think a trip to small claims court would end up costing you even more money as I don't think they would rule in your favour sadly.

Looking at the teletext website and various other sites it looks as though the average hotel price is around £35 per person per night in January for the Eden Andalou.

At an extreme push the water park might be worth say 50p a night per person so it's not a lot to expect back and not a lot to fight over in a small claims court.

You need to chalk this one up to experience and don't go back.

i DISAGREE.
    i would expect to pay a premium of around 30% for convienience of having daily use of a waterpark within a hotel complex compared to hotels of similar standard without one.
    so £10 to £12 pp per day may be worth asking for
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport