PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Frosty we've had ours 15 years now! It's enormous; covers half the garage. It's very beautiful & the bees love it, but it's a total slacker on the fruit front. About 5 years ago it started to produce 4 or 5 tiny fruits per year, which it took hours of intense searching to find. But this year there are more, and they're bigger, so maybe it's just a case of waiting until it gets the hang of it!

Other people I know with kiwi vines are inundated with fruit every year, but not us; our local permaculture guru tells me it's because it was next to a golden hop, which apparently can suppress fruiting in other plants nearby. We took the hop out last year - there are plenty growing wild down by the river - and lo & behold, the kiwi has done better this year...
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love salted runner beans. They have a unique flavour that reminds me of my childhood. I used to salt two glass sweetie jars of them every year and eat them all myself because MrC loathes them. It's really hard to get the pure block salt though now, last year I couldn't find it and table salt didn't work at all. They fermented and were wasted.
    The secret if you do try them is to rinse them really well in running water then soak them overnight in fresh cold water. Put them in a pan, cover with cold water and bring them to the boil. Boil for two minutes then pour the water away and rinse again. Cover with cold water bring to the boil again and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
    By this time they will have very little mineral in vitamin content but you will really get the runner bean flavour. Lovely with pork or sausages, mash and gravy.
    I think it's an acquired taste though. Mum used to salt at least 10 jars every summer and we ate them at least three times a week through the winter. !!!128522;
  • dND
    dND Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Good luck with your new venture kittie - I'm glad you came back even if only to say goodbye. We'll miss you, and you'll be very welcome should you have the time to return. :lovethoug
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • alice-mary
    alice-mary Posts: 249 Forumite
    Options
    Good Luck from me too Kittie, you have been so kind with your messages, tips and comments and have been such an inspiration! I really hope that you will only be having a little break from MSE and that you will come back but whatever you decide, I wish you peace, health and happiness for the future,

Alice
    xx
    Debts in March 2007:
    Loan £24,180 Argos Card £2000 C Card £2000 O/draft £2000 Mortgage £113,000
    Debts in Jan 2020:Loan £2900 Sister £0
    Argos Card £0 :j C Card £0 O/draft £0 :j
    Mortgage £96,000 (finally on a repayment mortgage :) )
    Getting there slowly .....
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I need some feedback please, about food safety. I haven't trusted my freezer for ages, though it seems more reliable when I defrost it :o however, I defrosted about 3 weeks ago, and bought a kilo of frozen cauli I hadn't opened till just now. It's been in the drawer immediately under the fast freeze drawer at the top.

A few of the florets are still frozen, but most of them are soft :( it's on a freeze setting of 4, with 5 being the highest.

I've only owned a freezer since I moved to this house, and I've no idea if that cauli is safe to eat ... if it is, I'll eat some today, some tomorrow, and dehydrate the rest, thats enough. But I've really no idea if its safe. Any feedback?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »

A few of the florets are still frozen, but most of them are soft :( it's on a freeze setting of 4, with 5 being the highest.

If it's soft, it's not frozen!

What temperature is the freezer actually achieving?
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    If it's soft, it's not frozen!
    Indeed!

What temperature is the freezer actually achieving?
    I don't know - I have digital thermometers for human use, but nothing to take the temperature of a freezer :(
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I don't know - I have digital thermometers for human use, but nothing to take the temperature of a freezer :(

Buy one? .............
  • Karmacat
    Options
    YeahSureYouBetcha.
  • melodramaticme
    melodramaticme Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 August 2018 at 12:06PM
    Options
    Hi Karmacat - how long would you have kept cauliflower if you hadn't had a freezer? It will have taken some time to defrost, so it is likely to be a question of your judgement as to whether to use or not ( sorry that sounds like a cop-out by me) I think I would at least try some of it rather than tip it straight in the bin, but I know that my sister would have thrown it out straight away,

I think you can get those card thermostats that show a range of temperatures for fridges and freezers, and have colour coded squares which show the range of temperatures reached.

Just found that Wilkos do a fridge thermometer for £2. https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-fridge-freezer-thermometer/p/0222255

HTH

Savings goal £30,000 1% = £300.
    [/COLOR]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills