NHS Pension - worthwhile?

Options
Hello,
I'm in my mid 30's and have recently joined the NHS. I'm debating whether I should try to opt out of the NHS pension or join their alternative scheme. It took me a while to understand the mechanics of the scheme as nobody seemed to know/wanted to say, the gist of it is that you contribute around 12% of your salary and the NHS contributes 14% to make a total contribution of 26%, but your pension pot is worth 2% of your salary, the sweetener being that 2% is guaranteed for life at retirement (assuming the rules don't change).

I've modelled this out in Excel - Assuming I retire at 73, my pension pot would be worth around 22,650 and I would have contributed almost 123K - if I live at least 6 years after retirement I'll break even.

I just wanted to get a second independent opinion if this is worthwhile as I'm wondering if I'd be better off putting 12% of my salary into a FTSE 100 tracker.

Thanks

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do not believe it. This post is a leg-pull.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    You seem to be very confused. What do you mean when you say "your pension pot is worth 2% of your salary"?

If the NHS scheme works out to require 6 times the annual pension as your total contribution then surely if you live more than 6 years after retirement you are gaining from being a member of the NHS scheme. Someone aged 30 now is predicted by the government Office for National Statistics to live on average to 90 or more. So it sounds like a very good deal to me - from your figures you get 17 years for free. And that is not taking into account inflation.
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seriously? Then clearly you need to read more about this scheme and consider yourself to be extraordinary lucky to get such a deal.There is no pension pot, only a Treasury backed promise to pay you a pension when you retire. That is what you are paying peanuts for.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'd be guaranteed to receive an amount every year, increasing with inflation, with spousal and dependant benefits, for life no matter how long you live, with no investment risk or any chance of the money running out.

Not many give up the chance of that.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can't join the alternative scheme if you are eligible for the normal NHS scheme. It is also a CARE scheme so you can't know exactly what you'll get in the end. Not sure where your 2% comes from.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,822 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I am starting to get seriously scared about ever falling ill in this country given the number of posts we get on these boards about people querying if the NHS pension is worth it.

Let's all just hope that their medical knowledge is considerably better that their financial acumen.
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    I am starting to get seriously scared about ever falling ill in this country given the number of posts we get on these boards about people querying if the NHS pension is worth it.

Let's all just hope that their medical knowledge is considerably better that their financial acumen.

I've posted this before.....

Hardly anyone in my (NHS) workplace has a clue about their pension.

When anyone is approaching retirement inevitably the talk is of it being a "no brainer" to take the maximum lump sum.

Commutation rate is 12-1 :eek:

People do seem to do their jobs well though despite this "knowledge gap" :)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm debating whether I should try to opt out of the NHS pension or join their alternative scheme
    What alternative is better than the NHS pension? (clue - there isnt one)
    took me a while to understand the mechanics of the scheme as nobody seemed to know/wanted to say, the gist of it is that you contribute around 12% of your salary and the NHS contributes 14% to make a total contribution of 26%, but your pension pot is worth 2% of your salary, the sweetener being that 2% is guaranteed for life at retirement (assuming the rules don't change).

No. You havent got it yet. 1) there is no employer contribution. 2) its based on years of service 3) its 100% guaranteed
    I've modelled this out in Excel - Assuming I retire at 73, my pension pot would be worth around 22,650 and I would have contributed almost 123K - if I live at least 6 years after retirement I'll break even.

There is no pension pot. It is defined benefit.
    I just wanted to get a second independent opinion if this is worthwhile as I'm wondering if I'd be better off putting 12% of my salary into a FTSE 100 tracker.

Investing anything into a FTSE100 tracker is a very bad move. However opting out of the NHS trumps that big time. It would be up there as probably the worst financial decision of your life.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    can be worth commutation if reduces lifetime allowance taxation
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Flugelhorn wrote: »
    can be worth commutation if reduces lifetime allowance taxation

If you're referring to my post (#8), no; people just think they are getting "done" if they don't fully commute.

When I explain to them they are borrowing from their future self under poor terms they don't want to hear it.

Have seen people take the bigger lump sum for this reason, spend a big chunk on car/holidays/etc, then return to work as their retirement income is inadequate.

Each to his/her own I suppose, but it's not my idea of retirement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure