TV signal splitting

Options
I have an TV aerial in my loft that feeds my lounge TV. In the lounge I have a face plate with 1 socket which I currently attach my Humax box to and then I use the pass thru socket on the humax to connect to my TV. I am very happy with the picture on my TV (and Humax box) currently.

I now have bought a Vbox xti3442 which also needs an aerial input. I have bought one of these Y-splitters:

d57e5a20-a5fa-48d7-894f-54adc0dadd25.jpg

However after using it the picture on my TV pixellates on some channels, it seems there is some signal loss going on.

What is my best way to get an extra aerial input without degrading signal? Would something like this be better than the existing Y-splitter? http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5713361

Thanks

Comments

• Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2017 at 2:00PM
    Options
    ..What is my best way to get an extra aerial input without degrading signal? Would something like this be better than the existing Y-splitter? http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5713361

Thanks

Yes, and at only £14 it is worth trying as it will almost certainly solve the signal degradation problem.

That Y Splitter is halving (or at least significantly weakening) the signal to each device which is fine with a very strong signal but can cause problems with weaker signals. You need a powered amplifier to boost each half signal.

It is possible that similar signal amplifiers are available for less than £14.

Have a look on eBay, Amazon etc.

eBay link.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have used those and inside will be wires split from the input to the output, with a resistor inline so yep they do reduce the signal strength.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• psychic_teabag
    Options
    Were you splitting before the humax ? If the humax amplifies the signal on the way through, it might be strong enough to split ?

(Obviously no use if you plan to retire the humax.)
  • womble12345
    Options
    Were you splitting before the humax ? If the humax amplifies the signal on the way through, it might be strong enough to split ?

(Obviously no use if you plan to retire the humax.)

I dont plan on retiring the humax yet.

I have been splitting at the wall (ie before the humax), I hadnt considered splitting after the humax as I didnt realise that it may be amplifying the signal but I will certainly try that.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The male is INPUT(on left of your pic) and the two sockets are OUT (on right). People have been know to mis-connect these splitters and get a good signal on one route but next to nothing on the other.

Not seen resistive Y-splitters on sale (>6dB loss or <1/4 signal to each output) for many many years. Inductive ones are 3 to 4dB loss, or just over half.

If signal from aerial is so marginal that a 4dB or 6dB loss causes breakup then you need to upgrade aerial or amplify at the aerial NOT behind the TV. http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ampsandsplitters.html#ampbasics is worth reading!

I'd not give any SLX kit house room, personally; and that unit being one way is not ideal, a multi-outlet distribution amplifier with around 8dB gain would be preferred.

BUT a one way masthead amp kit (with remote power up the aerial cable) plus passive splitting behind the TV would work much better, although if mains is available in the loft a one way amplifier there would work, too (and passive splitting behind the TV).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure