Overseas Holiday Home Insurance?

Options
Hi,

I've recently bought a holiday home overseas and would like to get it insured.

Does anyone have any recommendations on good companies to use please?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are there any companies in the country where the property is located?
    I don't think a UK insurance company would insure a property overseas.

A quick Google revealed a few ads of companies offering cover but I can't comment on their offerings.
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could the estate agent not point you in the right direction?
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2018 at 8:26AM
    Options
    There are lots of brokers offering this - some do only UK second homes, some do both UK and overseas.
    I recommend you try A-plan which trades as
    https://www.insuranceforholidayhomes.co.uk/
    Also Saga do it if you are over 50 - not surprisingly as older people tend to buy this sort of thing.

Take careful note of the occupancy requirements - how often you are required to be there.
    Keep records of each time you are there and make sure you buy at least something with a debit/credit card while there as this acts as "proof" of your visit should the issue be raised in the event of a claim.
    Also depending on where the property is, note the "wintererisation" requirements to prevent pipes freezing and bursting. Usually something like the heating must be kept on controlled by a thermostat to maintain the place at X degrees C with the loft hatch left open.
    Finally as with any insurance it will be different price if it is only used by you/your family compared to if it is on occasions rented out.

Edit: some may also require certain electric items normally left running 24/7 to be switched off when the place is not occupied - typically fridges/freezers.
  • Reardoa
    Reardoa Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of UK insurers will offer cover on overseas holiday homes. They tend to only want to look at if it they cover your UK home as well so Id start by contacting your existing insurer. Vasek I think will cover it in isolation or Towergate for example.
  • stephen160
    stephen160 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    I have a holiday home in Orlando Florida and have tried several times over the years to find an insurance company in the uk to insure it, but failed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure