stored heat tariff

Options
grahamandstacey
grahamandstacey Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 25 May 2018 at 6:42PM in Energy
Hi I have 3 tariffs for electric Day energy Night Energy and Stored Heat energy plus a standing charge. I cannot find this on any comparison site can you please help?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

This has come up many times. All of the comparison websites cater for Economy 7 tariffs(E7).

However as far as I am aware no comparison websites cater for Economy 10(E10) and the other 'non-standard' tariffs - often found in Scotland.

Indeed very few suppliers have tariffs suitable for these non-standard tariffs.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Beware switching IIWY. Your heating system may have been specified with this tariff in mind. If you change to E7, you will only get cheap rate over night, which may leave you cold in the evenings.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi I have 3 tariffs for electric Day energy Night Energy and Stored Heat energy plus a standing charge. I cannot find this on any comparison site can you please help?

As you say, you cannot find this tariff on any comparison site (because no one else offers it to compare against)

But all is not lost if you follow this simple guide :)

Step 1: Gather all your bills for the year and add together your entire usage (measured in kWh on the bills) for the full 12 months. Note the total usage down.

Step 2: Work out the total you paid over the year. This'll incorporate the cheaper rates you paid as well as the higher Day rate

Step 3: Keep handy your annual kWh usage figures from Step 1, then go to a comparison site. Choose the tariff of an alternative supplier. The tariff and supplier you pick won't matter !!!8211; it's the usage figures which count here.

Step 4: Type in the annual usage figures from your bill and compare as normal. DON'T select Economy 7 when you type in your details.

Step 5: When you get the result, ignore the savings. Note down the annual price of what you would pay. Remember, this is an estimate of what you'd pay over the year.

Step 6: Compare this to the figure you worked out in step 2 - what you've actually paid over a year. If the results show you're overpaying in a big way, consider switching to a normal meter. This will enable you to compare and switch to your cheapest deal on comparison sites.

However, you may also need to make rewiring and appliance changes if/when you change the meter, so seek expert advice first.
  • grahamandstacey
    Options
    thank you for your reply
  • Cardew
    Options
    wavelets wrote: »
    However, you may also need to make rewiring and appliance changes if/when you change the meter, so seek expert advice first.

That of course is the potentially very expensive problem as well as the requirement to have a new meter fitted.
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    That of course is the potentially very expensive problem as well as the requirement to have a new meter fitted.

How much do you think that would cost?
  • Cardew
    Options
    Shavuot wrote: »
    How much do you think that would cost?
    That's a 'how long is a piece of string' question - £hundreds.
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    That's a 'how long is a piece of string' question - £hundreds.

That's why I suggested getting an expert in to advise :)

I would hope the expert could advise an actual cost for the cost of a typical call out fee (say £50) - it may be no change is required, but better safe than sorry.

A change of meter, where charged, will typically cost £50-£70 ... but you may find the supplier does it for free :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure