How to max out on LIsa and htb Isa

Options
Hello everyone,
I am in my 3rd year of uni. I have no plan to buy a house in the next few years.
I was just wondering, in this time when interest is being cut everywhere, is there a way to save something important with these 2 products? How could i max out on them?

Thanks

Comments

• bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    If I understand correctly, the best method is to open the HtB ISA now and max it out. Then open the LISA when it opens next year. Run the two concurrently for approximately 11 months, then "merge" (if that's the right word) your HtB into your LISA.

More info here: http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/07/25/24984/
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It's probably a good idea to open a HTB ISA if you have a lump sum of up to £1200 and/or are planning on putting away up to £200 a month - AND if you've already exhausted your options with interest-paying current accounts, regular savers, and reward accounts.

HTB ISA rates are typically considerably better than normal cash ISA rates, although that's not saying much, so you should preferentially use a HTB ISA if you qualify and don't have a a lump sum much bigger than £1200.

Bear in mind that LISAs may incur a penalty if not used to complete a house purchase, so they're perhaps not as much a no-brainer as HTB ISAs if your goal is primarily to earn interest and buying a house is a secondary consideration.
    : )
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Bear in mind that LISAs may incur a penalty if not used to complete a house purchase, so they're perhaps not as much a no-brainer as HTB ISAs if your goal is primarily to earn interest and buying a house is a secondary consideration.

First I hear of this (although admittedly I'm not paying a huge amount of attention) - why would there be a penalty for using a product for one but not both of its purposes?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bobobski wrote: »
    First I hear of this (although admittedly I'm not paying a huge amount of attention) - why would there be a penalty for using a product for one but not both of its purposes?

As I understand it there is no specific penalty for not using it to buy a house but if you want to access the money before pension age then you will pay an extra charge.

So it's partly true that you could be hit by a penalty - but only if you draw money out for reasons outside of pension or buying a house.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Ashen
    Ashen Posts: 592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The penalty/charge is if you withdraw it before age 60, not specifically pension age.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    As I understand it there is no specific penalty for not using it to buy a house but if you want to access the money before pension age then you will pay an extra charge.

So it's partly true that you could be hit by a penalty - but only if you draw money out for reasons outside of pension or buying a house.

That is true from April 2017 but the Government is open to adding other lifetime events that would be penalty free to withdraw funds for, and also the possibility to loan funds from a LISA penalty free if the funds are repaid in full (similar to how Flexible ISAs work). It may be that some providers will offer that option if the Government allows for it in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure