Car insurance cancelled.

Options
In 2016, I had company car and a private car. My wife was named driver on both cars.

My wife had a fault claim in my private car. The claim was settled.

In 2017, I left my job and had to returned my company car. I bought my new car and insured this through Aviva. As the car was too big for my wife only I was insured on this vehicle. When I explained to aviva about wife situation I remember they saying as she is not insured on the car I had quotation for her claim as named driver did not affect my quote.

I then had similar policy with admiral and no issues nor any claims. Again only me insured not my wife.

However in April 2019 I renewed my policy with coop insurance. I will have to admit, I cannot recollect which insurance compassion website I used and did to mention my wife claim on my policy as named driver 3 years ago.

As this was highlighted on insurance database, coop has cancelled my insurance for non-disclosure. I tried to explain this was genuine oversight and misunderstanding on my part, and that claim is disclosed by my wife on her own insurance since. Coop are quite adamant on their decision and do not want to reinstate policy.

Because it is now a cancelled policy, none of the conventional insurers what to insure me...any advise on how I can resolve this.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Whenever you are not happy with your insurance company the route to go down is a complaint in line with their complaints procedure

Then if you are not happy with the reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you
  • capstain411
    capstain411 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know I am at fault or am I? I am really gutted to be hit by this issue as I genuinely did not withhold any information.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    I know I am at fault or am I? I am really gutted to be hit by this issue as I genuinely did not withhold any information.

If you did disclose the claim why do you say you "know" you are at fault??
  • capstain411
    capstain411 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 May 2019 at 11:21PM
    Options
    I cannot recollect which insurance compassion website I used and did to mention my wife claim on my policy as named driver 3 years.

Sorry my apologies Typo. I did not disclose my wife incidence as my claim as she was named driver and not Involved in this quotation. Hence my firm assumption it was my fault.

I know I might have to face the consequences, anything advise on how to salvage the situation.
  • lanren77
    lanren77 Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    im facing the similar situation. how are you getting on with it now?
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the claim was on a policy that was in your name then you need to disclose it.
  • kelevraz
    kelevraz Posts: 192 Forumite
    Options
    It actually depends on the question your asked.. i'm surprised so many people are quick to say you have to declare any claims on your policy lol

Theres a significant difference between being asked for any claims/incidents that you've been involved in and asking for any claims/incidents that have been made under any of your policies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure