MSE News: BT fined for sending nearly five million spam emails

Options
BT has been fined £77,000 by the information watchdog after it sent nearly five million nuisance emails to customers...
Read the full story:
'BT fined for sending nearly five million spam emails'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thats my bill going up then .
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you're with BT your bill is always going up!

Somebodies got to foot the bill for Million pound CEO wages (and they've even sacked him now), Multi million pound deals for BT sports rights and covering fines like this.

I cannot understand why people actually stay with them? unless they enjoy getting ripped off?
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I cannot understand why people actually stay with them?

1. Limited choice, no cable, not many alternatives
    2. Decent service. Very little downtime, speed decent. Hub gives good coerage.
    3. Price was negotiable downwards at last contract renewal.

I did a check on price and not that much scope from the amount eventually offered. No interest in BT Sport which is hard for the salesmen to understand (seemingly).

Are there other operators who can compete? Yes. Could I get it cheaper? Possibly. Is BT so awful non-one in their right mind would stay? Well, not in my opinion.
  • minislim
    Options
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    1. Limited choice, no cable, not many alternatives
    2. Decent service. Very little downtime, speed decent. Hub gives good coerage.
    3. Price was negotiable downwards at last contract renewal.

I did a check on price and not that much scope from the amount eventually offered. No interest in BT Sport which is hard for the salesmen to understand (seemingly).

Are there other operators who can compete? Yes. Could I get it cheaper? Possibly. Is BT so awful non-one in their right mind would stay? Well, not in my opinion.

if you can get BT you certainly can get plusnet. (yes BT owned) Their prices are in most cases a third if not half as much as BT.

and if a fibre customer you can even get BT sport if you wanted for less.

all the extra money that you are paying out is in reality for nothing.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I stay with BT .
    One for my services inc BT Sport its cheaper by about £10 pm .
    Two a better router .
    Three excellent customer support but you do need to know where to go .
    Four paying less each of the last three years .
    Five a faster speed than Plusnet supply on fibre .

No sign of this third or half BT price as claimed .
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    minislim wrote: »
    I cannot understand why people actually stay with them? unless they enjoy getting ripped off?

Can you find me an unlimited fibre deal for sub £15 then please (including LR obviously)? That's how much I'm paying per month now after taking the cashback and prepaid Mastercard into account. How much are you paying per month? If it's more than £15 you must enjoy getting ripped off ;):D

if you can get BT you certainly can get plusnet. (yes BT owned) Their prices are in most cases a third if not half as much as BT.

Can't see any Plusnet deal for £5-£7.50? Have you got a link?
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 22 June 2018 at 7:55AM
    Options
    If you're with BT your bill is always going up!

Somebodies got to foot the bill for Million pound CEO wages (and they've even sacked him now), Multi million pound deals for BT sports rights and covering fines like this.

BT Group are a FTSE 100 company, it's hardly unique that the CEO has a million + package
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I switch between BT and Plusnet at the end of each and every contract. Why? because they are the only two providers that give me the best deals for becoming a new customer. I just cannot be bothered to haggle with either company, it's just easier to switch online, no human interaction required. I've just switched back to Plusnet via Topcashback, £85 to come back, paid my line rental up front for the 12 months because it's cheaper that way and just leaves me with a low £8.51 a month to pay. Before when I switched to BT, I got a £200 Mastercard and received £85 from Topcashback. Also, I don't have to bother switching routers as BT hubs work with Plusnet and BT's HomeHub 6 router is better than Plusnet's current router anyway.

As for BT chucking out spam emails, can't say I've actually received any and I'm not sure I'd have been that bothered anyway. That's what the delete/Junk/Spam/Trash folders are for.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The only junk BT send is those fake 'end your contract early' mid contract price rise lies they 'accidently' send to scare people in to staying.
  • minislim
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Can you find me an unlimited fibre deal for sub £15 then please (including LR obviously)? That's how much I'm paying per month now after taking the cashback and prepaid Mastercard into account. How much are you paying per month? If it's more than £15 you must enjoy getting ripped off ;):D

Can't see any Plusnet deal for £5-£7.50? Have you got a link?

only had BT in the first year in our house. after that its been other providers.

and in the last 4.5 years combining cashback and deals on offer i've never even paid £15 per month including line rental. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure