DMP Questions

Options
Hi all,

Me and the wife have been on a DMP for 7 years now paying £300 per month split across 9 creditors. Original debts were 48k and I'm now down to 27k.

My questions are as follows

1. All debts were defaulted and none now show on our credit files. If I was to offer Full and final settlement payments would these payments put them back on my credit file as paid?

2. Can these accounts still be CCJ'd and then start the 6 years of poor credit rating? Would they do this if I start rocking the boat with offers?

3. ALL Debts are with DCA but I still receive letters from lloyds every 6 months on 6 of the accounts showing payments so I assume they are using DCA to collect and haven't sold the debts?

4. Is it best to lease with all my creditors direct rather than with the DM Company Payplan.

Reason for these questions is me and the wife are selling our house and the father in law is prepared to lend us the money to pay off ALL debts before the sale so we can get a better mortgage deal as we would have no debts to still declare even though they are not showing on our credit files.

Just looking for some definitive answers to my questions.

Many thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    1. No - after 6 years the record is removed from your file
    2.Yes - they can take you to court within 6 years of last payment
    3. It looks like it
    4. Keep everything via Payplan
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Additionally, creditors will not look to take court action just because you make them an offer to settle, accounts that have been sold on should attract the best discount, those still with original creditors may not budge very much in terms of what they will accept.

If you are a confident negotiator, i would make the offers myself, the only reason i say this, is because when you take this course of action, during a DMP run by a charity, they expect you to deposit the lump sum with them first, they then attempt to pay everything off, with that lump sum, they may not be successful, you could end up still owing money.

Making written settlement offers is easy using the national debtline template letter available from there website, it also leaves you in control of the deal, and not some 3rd party call center worker you don`t know.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    With existing defaults.
    If agreeing and making Full and Fnal settlements .
    Does that mean 6 years start again on cra.
    E,g, upto 6 yrs D -default drops off 6 years
    During 6 years F+F partial paid -is this another 6 years
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    no, drops off 6 years from default no matter what else happens regarding payment, Unless they take you to court and get a CCJ
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Dandytf wrote: »
    With existing defaults.
    If agreeing and making Full and Fnal settlements .
    Does that mean 6 years start again on cra.
    E,g, upto 6 yrs D -default drops off 6 years
    During 6 years F+F partial paid -is this another 6 years

Accounts can only default once, the default remains for a period of 6 years.

Only a payment, or written acknowledgement, by the debtor, can re-start the time clock.
    A settlement offer will have the effect of closing the account, and the whole entry will still drop off your file, 6 years from original default date.

Court action any time within those 6 years means the Limitations act no longer applies.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Accounts can only default once, the default remains for a period of 6 years.

Only a payment, or written acknowledgement, by the debtor, can re-start the time clock.
    A settlement offer will have the effect of closing the account, and the whole entry will still drop off your file, 6 years from original default date.

Court action any time within those 6 years means the Limitations act no longer applies.

Detailed explanation.
    Temptation to consider F+F's is increasing.
    Maybe I'll review F+F info again.
    Gues I've nothing to lose starting at highest balance 1213 -some difference since late 2012.

Thanks amazing advice Sourcrates
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure