SB - setting up freelance web design company (VAT and other questions)

Hey.

I've been web designing for a few years now and have done some commercial work - I am hoping to establish my own small business - a freelance web design company and was looking for some advice.

I've already got a web design portfolio - which I'm also redesigning at the moment - this will be my main method for obtaining work - people can contact me after looking at my past work for a website. I've got a fair idea of where things are going with this.

However I have some questions:

* Would is be wise to become VAT registered - this would enable me to get computer equipment/software cheaper when I need to upgrade etc and allow me to get a trade account with aria - however wouldn't this mean I'd also have to charge VAT for my services and how would this work? I have very little knowledge about all this.

* I am considering a part time course (perhaps CIW or preferably something teaching flash/php) in order to get formal qualifications - although I am experienced and knowledgeable there are a few things I'd like to expand on and get more practice at - however as far as I can tell these are costly and I don't know if I can fit it in between my current studies.

Which leads onto:

* Are there any grants available for young people like me setting up similar businesses - I'm currently a history student at manchester university and this will business will be in addition to these studies - although the business will not be that expensive to set up I could do with some extra cash to fund promotion (printed flyers/business cards or similar). Also if I did a course in addition to my degree a grant would be helpful in funding such course.

* Should I get a seperate business bank account for my business - I could just use my personal account but would it be wise to have a business account - are there any benefits to this.

* Also - a frequent question but best online credit card processor for ecommerce - I'd like to offer ecommerce solutions as part of my company but would like to use a decent card processor - I currently just use paypal but are there better?

Finally - does anyone else have any tips?

Comments

• newsmonkey
    newsmonkey Posts: 201 Forumite
    lellie wrote:
    * Would is be wise to become VAT registered - this would enable me to get computer equipment/software cheaper when I need to upgrade etc and allow me to get a trade account with aria - however wouldn't this mean I'd also have to charge VAT for my services and how would this work? I have very little knowledge about all this.

If you become VAT-registered, you'd need to charge 17.5% VAT on the web design services you sell. In return, you can claim back the VAT you pay on stuff. This involves filling in a VAT return (quarterly, I believe).

For example,

sell 4 websites per quareter, at £1000 each. = £4000 + VAT at £700
    but you bought a computer this quarter, costing £1500 = VAT paid at £262.50

VAT received = £700
    VAT paid = £262.50
    so you owe the govt. £437.50 this quarter
    * Should I get a seperate business bank account for my business - I could just use my personal account but would it be wise to have a business account - are there any benefits to this.

I'd strongly recommend getting a separate sole trader account. Remember you'll also need to register with the Inland Revenue, National Insurance etc.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    lellie wrote:
    * Are there any grants available for young people like me setting up similar businesses - I'm currently a history student at manchester university and this will business will be in addition to these studies - although the business will not be that expensive to set up I could do with some extra cash to fund promotion (printed flyers/business cards or similar). Also if I did a course in addition to my degree a grant would be helpful in funding such course.
    Could try The Prince's Trust. Possibly worth asking at your Uni Careers Office.
    lellie wrote:
    * Also - a frequent question but best online credit card processor for ecommerce - I'd like to offer ecommerce solutions as part of my company but would like to use a decent card processor - I currently just use paypal but are there better?
    Search the threads on this board for discussions about this! I think 'no simple answer' sums it up ...

For other advice, others have spoken highly of local Businesslink - I think that's what it's called - for general advice, so worth trawling other threads about starting new businesses from that point of view.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue
    And a final thought: talk to the IR about how / when self-employed people pay back their student grants!
  • lellie
    lellie Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Savvy_Sue wrote:
    And a final thought: talk to the IR about how / when self-employed people pay back their student grants!

that's a good point... :)
  • lellie
    newsmonkey wrote:
    I'd strongly recommend getting a separate sole trader account. Remember you'll also need to register with the Inland Revenue, National Insurance etc.

hmm.. any ideas which?

also registering with IR/NI - how does this affect the fact I have a part time job at uni also.. my income from web design will probably be very irregular - especially while establishing myself..
  • Savvy_Sue
    lellie wrote:
    hmm.. any ideas which?
    Nope. It's been discussed elsewhere on this board so you could start by looking for those threads and skimming through but because banks change their t&c you will need to check out for yourself what you need and what is on offer.
    lellie wrote:
    also registering with IR/NI - how does this affect the fact I have a part time job at uni also.. my income from web design will probably be very irregular - especially while establishing myself..
    Initially it doesn't: you carry on paying tax and NI as appropriate for your pt job but YOU must keep a record of all your income from your freelance work and declare it at the end of the tax year. The point of registering is to make sure IR send you a tax return (so you don't 'forget' to declare income and have it catch up on you a few years down the line). And apparently there's a fine if you don't do it within a certain timescale. Give them a ring, they are usually very helpful and friendly in the local office.
  • lellie
    Savvy_Sue wrote:
    Nope. It's been discussed elsewhere on this board so you could start by looking for those threads and skimming through but because banks change their t&c you will need to check out for yourself what you need and what is on offer.

Initially it doesn't: you carry on paying tax and NI as appropriate for your pt job but YOU must keep a record of all your income from your freelance work and declare it at the end of the tax year. The point of registering is to make sure IR send you a tax return (so you don't 'forget' to declare income and have it catch up on you a few years down the line). And apparently there's a fine if you don't do it within a certain timescale. Give them a ring, they are usually very helpful and friendly in the local office.

fair enough - that's ok then - as I shouldn't be paying tax at the moment (although I am and will get it returned at the end..) blah I hate tax. I shall get that sorted then when I get the chance.. :)
  • camstop
    camstop Posts: 46 Forumite
    First things first...savvy your on the ball as usuall ;)

Lellie, are you doing this as a business or a stop gap ?

On the vat question, if your selling to other businesses then it is advised to go VAT registered as they wont be bothered about the vat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure