PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

capital gains tax, what will i need to know?

Options
We bought a house in June 2010 with a buy to live mortgage for £90,000, we lived in it until Feb 2013 when we moved into a rented house due to moving away with work to the other end of the country. We still live in rented accomodation.

We rented it out until last month (Jan 2018) when we decided to sell, we have sold it for £150,000 and stand to make £80,000 after all fees (awaiting sale to go through).

Do we need to pay capital gains tax or is it classed as our first home which we are led to believe we dont need to pay CGT on?

We are not financially savy so dont understand any of the jargon on the HMRC website so if anyone replys please use laymans terms.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It hasn't been your primary personal residence since 2013, so you need to pay CGT on the portion of time since then.

June 2010 to Feb 2018 is 93 months. You lived in it for 33 months, and lived elsewhere for 60 months. So you pay CGT on 60/93 of the £80k increase - £51,600.

Examples 4 and 5:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/private-residence-relief-hs283-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs283-private-residence-relief

Your solicitor should be able to help you.
  • markf1983
    Options
    Thank you for the quick reply, I am currently serving in the military and moved into the rented accomodation. does the HMRC take this into account?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    markf1983 wrote: »
    Thank you for the quick reply, I am currently serving in the military and moved into the rented accomodation. does the HMRC take this into account?
    No. It doesn't matter why you're not living there. You could have sold it instead of renting it out...
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    It hasn't been your primary personal residence since 2013, so you need to pay CGT on the portion of time since then.

June 2010 to Feb 2018 is 93 months. You lived in it for 33 months, and lived elsewhere for 60 months. So you pay CGT on 60/93 of the £80k increase - £51,600.

Examples 4 and 5:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/private-residence-relief-hs283-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs283-private-residence-relief

Your solicitor should be able to help you.

The OP will also get relief on the last 18 months of ownership as well, and they will also be able to claim letting relief

https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-home/let-out-part-of-home

That together with 2 lots of annual allowance to take into account probably means that there would be little if any tax to pay.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 February 2018 at 9:16PM
    Options
    No. It doesn't matter why you're not living there. You could have sold it instead of renting it out...
    not so

OP states he is in the military and he says
    due to moving away with work to the other end of the country
    therefore he could fall within the job related accommodation rules if the move was because of a posting

there is also then the question of whether there was an intention to return to the property after the posting. if that was the case, it does not matter that in reality you do not return, you would still retain a claim to PRR even though the property was let and you were living elsewhere because the elsewhere was rented, not owned.

OP, for the sums of money involved go see a tax accountant (not just any old accountant) who is :
    a) familiar with CGT
    and
    b) up to speed on the absence rules especially as they apply to military postings

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg64555

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg65030

you could easily owe nothing at all in tax
  • Gabbs_the_Newt
    Gabbs_the_Newt Posts: 154 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2018 at 9:24PM
    Options
    None of what you have posted is true. Your initial post "forgot" the terminal 18 months that is due to anyone that disposes of a former home, and your subsequent post "forgot" that renting because of job based accommodation can be exempted.

As a qualified accountant, who is studying for CIOT, I still had to reach for my textbook, I don't really understand why you would comment if you literally have no idea. Your final comment about selling it just smacks of jealousy.

Anyway. To the OP, you probably have no tax to pay, but we need more info.
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    I would call the tax office and explain your situation. You should have registered it as your primary residence because nature of work it was uncommutable abd housubg provided.

You intended to live in the property, but your work meant it was not an option. I think you shouldn!!!8217;t have to pay a penny, but act quickly. Explain you didn!!!8217;t realise situation, but you would have applied for the primary residence if you!!!8217;d known.

We were in same position and never lived in ours due to postings. I!!!8217;ll dig my letter out tomorrow and message you the outline letter if you!!!8217;d like?
    Good luck
    Finally Debt Free 24/4/2023 
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 February 2018 at 10:01PM
    Options
    You intended to live in the property, but your work meant it was not an option. I think you shouldn!!!8217;t have to pay a penny, but act quickly. Explain you didn!!!8217;t realise situation, but you would have applied for the primary residence if you!!!8217;d known.
    there is no need to "apply" for primary residence since it was de facto just that

you are perhaps confused over the "nomination" rules and the 2 year time limit for claiming main residence when you have 2 residences. But that is not relevant in this case anyway

"Under a service occupancy the property is occupied under licence and as such it is not a residence within the meaning of section 222. Therefore if the individual has only one other residence, there is no need to make a nomination in favour of the property which is intended as the main residence in due course."
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Thanks 00z Still looking to dig my letter out, but vaguely remember nominating it and advising we could not live in house due to hubby service. We owned the house for 10 years and applied retrospectively for it to be our main residence as we were not aware it had to be nominated. It was always our intention to live in the house, but location meant it was just not possible. We sold 2 years ago without issue.
    Finally Debt Free 24/4/2023 
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,834 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    markf1983 wrote: »
    We bought a house in June 2010 with a buy to live mortgage for £90,000, we lived in it until Feb 2013 when we moved into a rented house due to moving away with work to the other end of the country. We still live in rented accomodation.

We rented it out until last month (Jan 2018) when we decided to sell, we have sold it for £150,000 and stand to make £80,000 after all fees (awaiting sale to go through).

???? If you bought it for £90,000 and sold it for £150,000 then your starting point for a potential capital gain is surely only £60,000, not £80,000 ????
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback