Maybe Linux!

Options
While I am very taken with the appearance of Windows 7N, after happily using Vista for years, it does appear that I cannot buy a Key, to legitimize it. Activation required within 10 days.
So, at the mo' on the Zorin distro page, considering downloading it.
Can I ask you experts if a simple download will, first do absolutely nothing until I attempt to install it. And second, be able to install, while keeping 7 in the short term, and then my original Vista, still useable, if all else fails?
Thanks for your comments

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't download Zorin. Go for Linux Mint, either Mate or Cinnamon (I prefer Cinnamon) or Ubuntu and 64 bit in either case if your PC supports 64 bit.

When you are installing the installer gives you the option to run alongside Windows.

DualBoot_Linux_Windows09.png

When you install using that option every time you start the PC you will be presented with a boot menu asking which OS you wish to run.
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you Tarambor.
    I would have to go for 32 bit. Also, am I to assume that when Win 7 defaults to it's non activated level, it will present as a viable option on your boot up scheme?
  • fenlander_uk
    Options
    As your PC is limited to 32-bit it's fair to assume it's rather old and probably not very powerful. If that is the case Mint Mate, rather than Cinnamon, may be preferable. Mint is less hungry than Cinnamon.

I moved a ten-year old Toshiba laptop to Mint Mate a couple of years ago and I was so pleased with the result that I also installed it on my much more recent - and powerful - Lenovo. My personal choice is to backup the existing OS then commit the machine fully to Linux, rather than use a dual boot. For me, dual booting Windows is a crutch I might find too tempting any time there is a problem, whereas I should be sorting out a solution in Mint.
  • David_Aston
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks fenlander
    It is a Dell Inspiron, maybe eight years old. Having just run Belarc Advisor, I can say it has a 2.4 gig Intel Core 2 E4600 processor. I have just noticed that it is 64 bit ready, whatever that means!
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks fenlander
    It is a Dell Inspiron, maybe eight years old. Having just run Belarc Advisor, I can say it has a 2.4 gig Intel Core 2 E4600 processor. I have just noticed that it is 64 bit ready, whatever that means!

means it'll run 64-bit operating systems ;)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Debian Running Gnome

The best linux experience on the planet. No exceptions.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    If it's old and slow, try Xubuntu, very very good on older hardware. If it's REALLY old, use Lubuntu, can bring dreadful hardware (By modern standards) back to life in ways that might surprise you.
  • Debbie_Savard
    Debbie_Savard Posts: 430 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2017 at 4:48PM
    Options
    >I have just noticed that it is 64 bit ready, whatever that means!<

I think Linux isn't for you. Just saying.
  • David_Aston
    First Post
    Options
    I have no problem with your comment Debbie. A 74 year old man who has contentedly used 98 and then Vista, and now this un-activatable 7. If you are saying Linux is too techie for me, you are no doubt right. So, I have downloaded Linux Mint 32 bit, burned it onto a DVD, and just now have to decide how I can sample it without burning all my boats!
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    I think Linux isn't for you. Just saying.
    hardly just saying is it, anyway David you could always try any of the many of the Linux operating systems that come with a "live" option which you can run from a USB and then decide if it is for you
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure